Most Unusual or Outrageous Character or NPC Names

Sunglar

Explorer
My, my, have I laughed on this thread… I HAVE to get back to work!

I did want to add a couple of funny names.

When I began playing OD&D I allowed players to name their characters whatever they wanted, so we got some funny results:

Dragon Knight, the Fighter (I think this was an old Nintendo Game)
Mano Fast, Thief (Mano is hand in Spanish)
And my favorite back then, Conan… the Elf (His full name)

As time goes by I’ve learned to avoid humorous names, but they do creep in, sometimes in NPC names, especially when you play in a group where two, sometimes three languages are spoken. What sounds good in English may sound horrible, or have a different meaning in Spanish.

Some characters I’ve allowed with funny names in recent years are:
Tim the Mighty (add Quest for the Holy Grail joke! Amazingly he was a great character and a major mover and shaker in he campaign)
Anakyn Skirunner (Still pains me!)
Bilbo Viscalla, a Halfling (not just another bad Bilbo rip off, but there is a Spanish bank called Bilbao Viscalla, so he fancied himself a banker!)

I can’t think of anymore right now.

Sundog

First Post
We decided to create characters and run them through the original S1 - Tomb of Horrors. I was the halfling thief: Hitherto Goodcheddar. I had all kinds of fun with that name:

Party introductions: "You will find that I have a gouda sense of humor. Some folks; however, find it to be stilton and camembert it."

After being injured by some sort of slashing trap: "Ack, he cut the cheese!"

When deciding if we should rest and recover or continue: "A Goodcheddar must rest before it is at its best!"

The rest of the party after Hitherto was tragically killed by the tilting floor into the flames trap: "Ah! A grilled cheese!"

JimAde

First Post
A friend of mine and I played Halflings named:

Jeremy Tinglespit
and
Frito Dingleballs

I actually don't remember which of us played which because we both got eaten by a giant toad in the first game session. :)

Gez

First Post
Mr. Kaze said:
Dwarven Fighter/Barbarian: Juno Sepa (pronounced "Je no se pas" if I remember my French correctly -- roughly translated "I don't understand")

It would be "je ne sais pas" (a rough approximation in English would be juhn say pah, without the 'd' sound at the start of the 'j').

Mr. Kaze said:
The shaman was Dearth Voodooer, the boar was Animalkin Skywalker and the half-dragon demon was Oni Con Wasabi.

:lol:

Rackhir

Explorer
After deciding to drop my previous character in a campaign with a control freak DM, I rolled a new character with absolutely no good stats at all. Since I wasn't terribly fond of the capaign at that point and the character was completely worthless, I decided to name him "David Stockman", after Regan's first? Budget Director. Ironically, I had a great deal of fun with him, doing all sorts of insane things like attacking a giant (and actually managing to kill it, not bad for a 1st lv char). However he and the rest of the party were wiped out after he perusaded the rest of the party to attack a black dragon that was way beyond us. The final irony of the character was that he nearly killed the dragon with another critical hit...

ledded

Herder of monkies
We once played in a halflings-only short campaign, where they were tribal and somewhat backwards.

I played a fat, crude, delusional and somewhat stupid but immensely strong barbarian halfling named S'mee Unn. He had a younger brother, my backup character (this was a high mortality campaign) named Lidl Unn. They were both quite fun to play (especially S'mee Unn, who had multiclassed into a level of Sorcerer, and had a Toad as a familiar. He was convinced that licking the toad gave him 'magic powers' much to the toad's chagrin. He had bad hygiene, and any time we found anything that even remotely looked like it was magic or had some kind of power, he would lick or eat it. He talked like Ed from Edd, Ed, and Eddy).

Now I was making up a WWII side campaign to give our regular GM a break from our serious, X-files like d20 Modern campaign. We were torn over whether to do supers or WWII, and combined them both for a comic-book-ish feel. Everyone made these fairly normal American Joes with normal backstores and names that look like they came off of the Band of Brothers DVDs, except our GM.

Oh no, he made up a character that was an android from the future. Picture Peter Sellers with claws, his name is :

French Resistance Operative Guerilla-Built Operational Trooper.

or 'F.R.O.G.B.O.T.', for short. I apologize in advance to any french citizens on these boards.

ghettognome

First Post
It's actually Mrs. Frisby and the rats of Nimh... I read that book and its sequel far too many times as a kid. :)

Ovo Cookerwacker (one-armed dwarf that weilds an iron skillet)

Oof (a dwarf to walked into many things, thus being named for the noise he made)

Kimotso Singh (ogre-mage renamed Bob since the players didn't understand the name)

atom crash

First Post
A long time ago, in a 1st Edition campaign far far away, one player had a tendency to play chaotic characters with random strings of letters for a name. One time he decided to name his barbarian simply "Y." No one thought much about it until we met up with our recurring high-level NPC boss, a LE anti-paladin with an attitude from Hades.

NPC: "I see you have a new team member." To barbarian: "What's your name?"
PC: "Y."
NPC: "Because I asked you!" Pulls out his vorpal unholy longsword.
The rest of us: "Oh crap! We're going to die! Hide!"

His next character was named "Arlo Peartree."

Last edited:

Remove ads