• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most useful magic items for a 5th wizard

BlindKobold

First Post
We are starting a campaign at 5th level. I have chosen to be a wizard.

I'm looking for suggestions for magic items.

Any suggestions?

Falkon

First Post
pearl of power

Agreed. Pearls are cheap and their usefullness doesn't diminish as you level. Another choice might be Quaal's Feather Tokens, they're cheap and you never know when you might need a tree to climb!

Malichor

First Post
Re: pearl of power

Falkon said:
Agreed. Pearls are cheap and their usefullness doesn't diminish as you level. Another choice might be Quaal's Feather Tokens, they're cheap and you never know when you might need a tree to climb!

If you can fly, dropping a tree on an opponent works well too.

Pearl of power is a no brainer.

A Necklace of Adaptation. Covers you in a buble of air, which makes it better than water breathing, since you can still cast spells while immersed. It also stops the effects of gasses. Saves your equipment from above effects, too, so no lost spell book if you get dunked. I'm still wearing one at 16th level.

Ring of Climbing/Jumping/Swimming. Cheap, and it saves you on having to put skill points there. You will need all eventually, especially swimming.

Wand of True Strike. Cheap, you need the bonus if you have to fight, and your local rouges may find them useful as well.

Cloak of Resistance.

Bracers of Armor.

Ring of Protection.

Don't know if you could afford it, but a Scarab of Protection.

My best advice would be to get the little things that make up for your weaknesses, but you never seem to have the time to find or make. But definatly the Necklace of Adaptation.

Last edited:

Fade

First Post
Boccob's Blessed Book is 9000gp, your exact allowance. You'll have nothing else but the clothes on your back though.

Otherwise a Headband of Brilliance +2, a bag of holding because they're always useful, a bundle of scrolls and plenty of stuff in your spellbook.

XCorvis

First Post
Note: You can't make wands of True Strike. But let's not go into that...

Here's my top 3 for just about any character:

Ring of Sustenance. A lot of DMs gloss over food and sleep, but it's really handy, only having to sleep 2 hours a night to be fully rested.

Boots of Striding and Springing. The cost is higher than the DMG lists (it's 6500 or so, I think), but you'd have double your movement rate. This is fantastic for anyone who needs to stay out of melee.

Necklace of Adaptation. Awesome. Use this to hide in your portable hole while someone else carries you around. Poison gas? Dunked in water? No problem.

Remove ads