Mouse Guard love....

Treebore

First Post
I have the core book and really enjoyed it. I would like to get the box set. Anyone know when it comes out?

I guess you didn't read my OP, around December 27th they said March or April. The Amazon pre order says July, but in the same forum thread they commented about that as well.

Treebore

First Post
is this really a FRPG about... mice?

I thought that was rather goofy, until I remembered that Reaper Miniatures has a 'mousling' line of minis that are all about heroic mice.

Come to think of it, it's still rather goofy... :p

Yeah, I was very ambivalent about playing it too, but got talked into it and had a lot of fun.

Plus it is a HUGE change in perspective when a garden snake is such a huge threat to your group.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I like the graphic novels. I found the second one a little "slow" in spots, but still fun. The first one was a quick, easy read.

1Mac

First Post
It's based on Burning Wheel. Burning Wheel designer Lucas Crane is also the designer of Mouse Guard, and you can buy the game at the Burning Wheel store.

Googling around, I found this excerpt from the Gnome Stew review of Mouse Guard.

Mouse Guard is Burning Wheel Lite, and that’s a very good thing. The Burning Wheel system is well-suited to Mouse Guard — it’s not an arbitrary choice in any way. The kind of game this system fosters matches up perfectly with the stories, tone, flavor, and heart of the Mouse Guard comic.

The core of the system is the same: You roll a pool of six-sided dice (no other types of dice are used), and each result of 4+ is a success; the number of successes is compared to the obstacle (difficulty) of whatever you’re trying to accomplish.

One area where the system really shines is in the ways you get and use bonus dice. Other players can assist whoever is making the roll by roleplaying out how an ability of theirs would be helpful, and granting a bonus die for their trouble; and your traits can come into play.

Traits have three levels; a level 1 trait lets you roll an extra die once per session; a level 2 trait gives you a bonus die for every applicable roll; and a level 3 trait allows you to reroll failures once per session.

I’ve played quite a bit of Burning Wheel over the years, and in actual play these elements of the system lead to a lot of roleplaying — and because most key rolls are stakes- or objective-based, rather than task-based, every roll really matters. That gets the whole table involved.

Treebore

First Post
Hmmm. I guess I did not play Mouse Guard then, I played a version of Mouse Guard done with FATE. We only used 2d6, no pool. Oh well, even if I don't like the default system it's easy enough to use FATE instead.

I just wish the guy who ran it at Neon Con had been a bit clearer that he wasn't using the default rules.

buzz

Adventurer
BW and FATE are my two favorite systems. MG is an amazing implementation of BW.

If you want to play in the milleu of Mouse Guard with FATE, you don't need the Mouse Guard RPG. The rules and setting are tightly, tightly intertwined, so buying it for setting in the traditional sense is kind of a waste.

However, MG is fantastic. So, get it and play it as written. It'll do ya good. :)

Remove ads