• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Mouse Guard] Luke gave us the first copy as a wedding gift!

lukzu

First Post
More to the point: What can you tell us about the game? I've seen Burning Wheel around but never paid it much attention. Is it a class or skills based system? Is more than one faction presented or is it assuming everyone wants to be Mouse Guard, which there's nothing wrong with that? Are there stats for the major characters from the story arc?

It's a skill-based system.

You play mice in the Mouse Guard, that's it.

Gwendolyn, Kenzie, Lieam, Saxon and Sadie are all statted out.

Paul_Klein

Explorer
Eyebeams, your dedication to "outing" this guy is embarrassing. What the hell do you expect to accomplish?

Congrats on being a Super Internet Detective. Now please stop, because nobody cares.

Jenskot, congrats on the marriage and the sweet gift.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
If you fail a conflict, the GM can allow you to succeed at a cost.

That's a pretty keen idea...though I might prefer it if players got to choose their cost to a certain degree.

Additionally, extended conflicts have degrees of success. The more you win by, the more you get. And you can use this as leverage to negotiate compromises. So if have a debate and I win but only by a small margin, I need to offer a compromise.

That's pretty sweet, too. I like that it's not just a binary win/loose condition, that's nice.

dm4hire

Explorer
Because people might find out that there is more to the web than the one web forum you've posted to. j/k

Thanks Iukzu for the reply. Sounds like it will at least be worth picking up as a companion book as far as getting an idea of how the characters stat out. I also see this as being not just a doorway game for kids, but also a doorway into the Burning Wheel system. One thing I love about IP products is they help spread the interest and love of gaming.

jenskot

First Post
What can you tell us about the game? I've seen Burning Wheel around but never paid it much attention. Is it a class or skills based system? Is more than one faction presented or is it assuming everyone wants to be Mouse Guard, which there's nothing wrong with that? Are there stats for the major characters from the story arc?

It's skill based but instead of simply picking form a list, you walk through a series of questions that expand the skills available to you and their starting potency. So for example, answering "where you were born", "what your parent's trade is", "who you apprenticed with", "what your past experience is" and so on help guide skill selection.

And there are indeed stats for the major characters. There are also 3 sample missions in the book and sample characters for each mission.

jenskot

First Post
That's pretty sweet, too. I like that it's not just a binary win/loose condition, that's nice.
That's one of my favorite aspects of the game. It's similar to Burning Wheel where you roll Circles to find people to help you. If you fail the roll, you have the option of succeeding but the person doesn't like you! This basic idea has been applied in Mouse Guard as an option to all conflicts.

jenskot

First Post
Thanks everyone for the warm wishes!

You kind of lost me at, "This is the best game ever!" but congratulations and good luck, all the same.
My apologies. Sometimes I get way too enthusiastic. I don't think this is the best game ever. I couldn't say what is the best game ever. It really depends on what the game is about and how best it matches your interests. What I meant to say is that this is one of the best games I personally own in certain specific categories. Layout, ease of use, and clarity of writing being a few examples.

Remove ads