• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Movie Challenge - $300 Million USD = A new Epic franchise.

XO

First Post
Whipping Star & Dosadi Experiment

Particularly Dosadi...

Better than Dune... Same author!

Last edited:

Steel_Wind

Legend
craftyrat said:
The Belgariad/Malloreon would seem to be an obvious candidate. While you can argue about the quality, they were very popular. I just checked on amazon and they have a sales rank of under 10,000 - pretty good for books of that age and type.

craftyrat

Actually - the Belgariad is not a bad candidate. A tolerable cross between a Harry Potter coming of Age Story and epic quest LotR. You might make be able to sell that one.

(And no massive Battle of the Pellinor fields in there as I recall).

Other option: and i know this one has its detractors - but you might pitch the Sword of Shannara. Problem is, of course, it is heavily Tolkien inspired. It has all the complexity of the siege of Minas Tirith as well. And you would probably need three movies to do it justice (ok - maybe 2).

Sword of Shannara, btw, has been optioned several times over the past thirty years but has never been green lit.

Jakar

First Post
I would like to see some of Robin Hobb's books put onto the screen, but I do not know how well they would adapt to it.

Maybe GRR Martins Game of Thrones books, but the characters do not live long enough to be of lasting interest :p

Steel_Wind

Legend
Mallus said:
Dune.

(For me, Dune is the LotR of science fiction. I read them both around the same time, and they occupy the same lofty perch in my hierarchy of really good things.)

Dune has been done. The movie was a flop. Dune, the miniseries however was very good and does not need revisiting.

No argument that Dune is in many ways to SF what LotR is to Fantasy. Problem is, that well has been drained - and quite recently at that.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Jakar said:
I would like to see some of Robin Hobb's books put onto the screen, but I do not know how well they would adapt to it.

Maybe GRR Martins Game of Thrones books, but the characters do not live long enough to be of lasting interest :p

Song of Ice and Fire
is too long for movie treatment and has been optioned by HBO for a mini-series treatment a la Rome. A script for the first episode was turned in to HBO in early November. The whole thing is in abeyance pending resolution of the writers strike (and anticipated directors strike to follow).

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Re-make Lord of the Rings and change the macgruffin from a ring to a spear (the spear of destiny) and set it on earth during WWII and make Sauron into Hitler and the uruqui into nazis.

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
Ooh... tough one.

The Ramses books by Christian Jacq.

The Dragon Below trilogy by Doug Bassingwaithe.

The Knights of the Old Republic comic book series.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads