Movie fight scenes - what level?

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Times two? You could be in negative hp and still recoverable.
Unless, you as DM, decide otherwise, opponents die at 0 hp. Or get knocked out, if the PC wishes to do that.

Personally, hp are some sort of plot power to me, so I mainly let my PCs decide what happens at 0 hp. This can range from cut in half to being disarmed and with the sword at their throat (i.e. effectively at the PC's mercy).

Cheers, LT.

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
Just speaking personally, I'd be happy for D&D to never reflect that kind of fight scene!

Far to whacky and way-out for my personal tastes.

Cheers
Really? Most D&D combats I've been a part of have been approximately this silly.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxkr4wS7XqY"]YouTube - Best fight scene of all time[/ame]

dystmesis

First Post
Thanks to the magic of YouTube, we can easily discuss how well D&D reflects movie fight scenes.

Let's start with a good, multi-character, probably high-paragon or low-epic encounter, from the Korean movie Shadowless Sword.

YouTube - Best Fight Scene - Shadowless Sword (Korean Movie)

What level power do you think the "cut your opponent in half with one hit" move should be?

That fight certainly LOOKS turn-based. Too many breaks in the action of a fight scene ruins it, and seriously, it's got more cuts than a ginzu knife. Bad choreography to the extreme...

Runestar

First Post
What about something like feng yun?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_xpoLoR0iw]YouTube - feng yun 2 ending[/ame]

Tome of battle was made for this sort of stuff...:cool:

Just speaking personally, I'd be happy for D&D to never reflect that kind of fight scene!

Far to whacky and way-out for my personal tastes.
Are you really saying you'd rather D&D cater only to your own personal tastes, rather than provide some options that you could ignore, but allow other players to have more fun?

I think there's value in D&D providing entertainment value for a variety of playstyles.

Remove ads