• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Moving through occupied square....

CapnZapp

Legend
Let me see if I can rephrase this:

Let's assume you want to be able to move through an enemy's square. What are your options?

* the enemy is two sizes bigger/smaller than you. Check
* you're a halfling. Check

But otherwise? To be comprehensive, I'm looking for an answer that says something like:

* you can use Acrobatics to vault through a hostile square, in this way... (page reference)
* you simply cannot do it. By RAW it's impossible
* other overlooked option here

TheNoremac42

Explorer
You can do it, but those spaces are considered difficult terrain. If the creatures in those spaces are hostile, the character can provoke opportunity attacks. Those creatures could also resist the guy butting into their space by doing an opposed STR check - but I'm pretty sure that's just one of our House Rules, not RAW. If the character has enough movement, they could get through a few occupied spaces, but probably run out of movement on the other side of the crowd or even part-way.

MrHotter

First Post
Let me see if I can rephrase this:

Let's assume you want to be able to move through an enemy's square. What are your options?

* the enemy is two sizes bigger/smaller than you. Check
* you're a halfling. Check

But otherwise? To be comprehensive, I'm looking for an answer that says something like:

* you can use Acrobatics to vault through a hostile square, in this way... (page reference)

As far as I can tell, by RAW it's not allowed unless specified (like what you mentioned).
From D&D Beyond:
Moving Around Other Creatures
You can move through a nonhostile creature's space. In contrast, you can move through a hostile creature's space only if the creature is at least two sizes larger or smaller than you. Remember that another creature's space is difficult terrain for you.

The DMG p.272 has an optional rules for 'Overrun', 'Shove Asside', and 'Tumble'. These all let you move past (or through) a creature that is blocking your path.

I don't think it is mentioned what happens if the hostile creature is prone or unconscious. I would think we could step over an incapacitated or unconscious creature like its difficult terrrain. I would also think steping over someone you just knocked down would be permitted, but they would get an attack of opportunity on you (with disadvantage for being prone).

I guess our GM didn't understand since he had a human ranger run right through 2 occupied enemy squares (a half-elf and a dwarf). I ask him about it next game day.

He might have been using the DMG rules variant for Evade or Overrun (at the back of the DMG; I don't have the page number, but it's on the same page as Disarm and Marking). Or he might have had some other reason in mind, including possibly just an honest mistake or disagreement with the PHB.

Kalshane

First Post
Side note: I personally would rule that the ranger's ability to ignore difficult terrain would not apply to moving through occupied squares. (Save the leaping up and running across people's heads/shoulders for the monk, please. :p)

Croesus

Adventurer
I don't think it is mentioned what happens if the hostile creature is prone or unconscious. I would think we could step over an incapacitated or unconscious creature like its difficult terrrain. I would also think steping over someone you just knocked down would be permitted, but they would get an attack of opportunity on you (with disadvantage for being prone).

If unconscious, I'd allow it as difficult terrain, regardless of whether it's a friend or foe.

If prone and an enemy, I wouldn't allow it, per the normal rules. It's still an enemy-occupied space.

futrtrubl

Explorer

Simply can not. Unless you(r DM) use the optional Overrun or Tumble rules, or, as always, a house rule.

Remove ads