• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MS XP - OEM version

KnowTheToe

First Post
I am buying my components for my new PC and noticed I can buy the OEM version of XP. I believe as long as I buy 2 or more different type of hardware I qualify for the licensing. Are there drawbacks to this, am I misunderstanding anything?

It only cost $109 according to the site I was on.

Hollywood

First Post
KnowTheToe said:
I am buying my components for my new PC and noticed I can buy the OEM version of XP. I believe as long as I buy 2 or more different type of hardware I qualify for the licensing. Are there drawbacks to this, am I misunderstanding anything?

It only cost $109 according to the site I was on.

Always a tricky subject. OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturers, such as Dell, Gateway, NVidia, etc. but can extend to much smaller companies. In a lot of cases online clearance places like NewEgg get ahold of excess OEM licensed software and sell it at reduced prices. However, the EULA generally states that the software is not for resell [this type NewEgg or sites like it generally won't sell] or is only valid if you bought it with a new computer... of which many people have claimed to have agreements with MS that state a new computer can be anything from 2 different types of hardware to a screw that holds a harddrive in place. At this point its really up to you to decide if the $80 price difference is worth it [Win XP Pro Upgrade is $199 from CDW... if you have 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, 2000Pro or XP Home you can upgrade].

Sakzilla

Explorer
OEM is gtg

Fry's Electronics offers OEM Windows all the time with the purchase of hardware. The license you get is fully valid and the software is fully functional.

No problem going this route - you'll need to configure it to your new system the same as if you bought a full price edition off the shelf.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Sakzilla said:
Fry's Electronics offers OEM Windows all the time with the purchase of hardware. The license you get is fully valid and the software is fully functional.

No problem going this route - you'll need to configure it to your new system the same as if you bought a full price edition off the shelf.

Agreed. Most online dealers go this route, as well. I bought some cheap hardware (a floppy drive) and got a good deal on a copy of XP Pro, paying about $130.

Hollywood

First Post
Sakzilla said:

Oh yeah, its completely functional. But consult an attorney concerning whether its "fully valid". :)

Jhamin

First Post
Hollywood said:
Oh yeah, its completely functional. But consult an attorney concerning whether its "fully valid". :)

There is probably some truth there, but given the number of Pirate Copies of XP floating around, buying a cd that was actually pressed & packaged by Microsoft for less than full price is a pretty light shade of grey.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads