D&D 5E MTOF: Elves are gender-swapping reincarnates and I am on board with it

Strictly illegal. By the way, illegal in AL.
The AL is set in the Forgotten Realms, which has specific cosmological rules that require divine magic to be granted by gods. You could not have legally played a cleric of "light" in an FR campaign in any edition. But this seems like a total irrelevancy, since you say you do not play in any published setting. And in any case, if you want the freedom to customize your setting in one way regarding deities, surely others have the same freedom to customize their settings in the opposite way.

Too many references to gods everywhere else in the Players Handbook and other core rules.
Show me.

Seriously. Show me all the places where 5E introduces gods in an inextricable way, and 3E doesn't.

For all your complaining, and all the people questioning your complaints, you have yet to give a single concrete example of the changes you're talking about.

Riley37

First Post
"People" being "the supermajority of customers."

If you only recognize WotC customers as "people", then you and I have radically different views of humanity. There are EN World discussions on games other than D&D; so far as I'm concerned, those EN World subscribers are people.

Calling a setting free, universal system an "innovation" assumes that it is a desirable goal.

Yet again, you and I have deeply divergent world views. You write as if you see every event in human history as absolutely, objectively "desirable" or "undesirable".

As I see things, "desirable" not an absolute; it is only meaningful insofar as someone has that desire. Whether a checkmate is "desirable" depends on whether you're the player who wins or loses as the outcome of that checkmate. (Or a third party with a bet on the game, or anyone else with an interest in the outcome.)

Either that, or you're intentionally trying to frame my point differently than I meant it. As if that were, somehow, useful for communication. If you're so interested in my ideas, that you want me to explain, then *stop misrepresenting my ideas* and instead ask a sincere question. Otherwise, I do not see how you or I can benefit from further exchange. Good luck!

CapnZapp

Legend
I find it exceedingly easy to ignore gender-changing elves.

If that were a problem for me, which it isn't.

To me it's obvious WotC is choosing inclusivity. If a few gamers quit in disgurst over having to face that their fantasy world is now more like the real world, that's an easy price to pay.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The 3e core rules support nonpolytheistic and nontheistic clerics. Core rules for the cleric class description state: ‘If a cleric is not devoted to a particular deity, he still selects two domains to represent his spiritual inclinations and abilities.’ And similar statements occur elsewhere.
Correct.

In 3e, it is normal for a player to choose a nonpolytheistic or nontheistic cleric character.
Incorrect.

While it is possible for a player to choose a nonpolytheistic or nontheistic cleric character, doing so would generally be the exception rather than the norm; and thus, not "normal".

For the DM, the 3e SRD as well as other resources make it easy to avoid unwanted setting assumptions.
You don't need official resources to back you up when you decide to ignore something for your own table.

Lan-"surely at least one character in your game has 'ascension to divinity' as a long-term career goal"-efan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
There are EN World discussions on games other than D&D; so far as I'm concerned, those EN World subscribers are people.
You sure about that?

:)

Lan-"all non-D&D discussions in ENWorld will henceforth be carried out by robots and machines only"-efan

Hussar

Legend
Strictly illegal. By the way, illegal in AL.

Too many references to gods everywhere else in the Players Handbook and other core rules.

Impossible to play without running into gods.

How is it illegal? Now, to be fair, it does say choose a domain related to your diety, but, let's be honest, that's typically how most campaigns are set up. But, stripping out the diety wouldn't be much of a challenge. Now, I suppose you could make a stronger argument for the Divine Intervention power, but, then again, it's not really very different. Unless your D&D includes absolutely no extraplanar beings, then well, Divine Intervention works.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The real delericho was certainly happier after he replaced himself with AI.

We should all trust the computer.

paranoia-computer-1984.png

Remove ads