D&D 5E MTOF: Elves are gender-swapping reincarnates and I am on board with it

Zardnaar

Legend
The bigger thing I found is that the new mythos or whatever Corellion sounds like a real :):):):):):):).

Don't follow him no reincarnation for you not that the reincarnation thing is a good idea anyway. Last Elf cleric I saw being played a few months ago followed Isis.

This one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isis

Not that one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_State_of_Iraq_and_the_Levant

Thankfully I was not using the D&D pantheon. I think she was going to marry the Paladin of Apollo and have a syncretic faith half elf children.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
And yes your relationship with your God is up to the player, but if they are a cleric they DO have a functing relationship with their God, after all they still have spells.

Unless it's Mask, of course, who routinely grants spells to atheists, just to mess with them.

Hussar

Legend
The Forgotten Realms doesn't have Christianity, Islam, ect...

And yes your relationship with your God is up to the player, but if they are a cleric they DO have a functing relationship with their God, after all they still have spells.

Again, this depends entirely on setting. In Primeval Thule, the gods are distant and clerics are not bound in any way, shape or form by their deities. IOW, in PT, a cleric is essentially just a wizard with a different spell list. And, funnily enough, this is done using the 5e rules. Funny that.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Last Elf cleric I saw being played a few months ago followed Isis.

This one. -link 'Isis'- Not that one. -link 'ISIS'-
You can play the latter only if the DM wants to spend all night talking about current events, politics, and religion - with a sprinkling of D&D in there somewhere. :p

Yaarel

He Mage
Heh, I never said I was consistent. :)

But, be that as it may, my complaint is that Planescape is a specific setting in the game that has largely taken over every part of the cosmology. So, yeah, I don't like it very much. OTOH, I'm not the one saying that D&D is destroyed because of it, nor am I making up facts in order to support my rant. Complaining that elves aren't mechanically the best wizards in D&D is a bit misleading considering that elves have NEVER been the best wizards in D&D. Complaining that clerics are tied to deities in the PHB is pretty misleading considering that that's been the baseline presumption of the game since day 1.

The difference here is that Planescape has been added to baseline D&D over the years to the point where we cannot actually separate out the two and, since I loathe Planescape, that has resulted in me pretty much ignoring everything planar for D&D. But, again, I can point to points in the game where Planescape wasn't true before but is now. [MENTION=58172]Yaarel[/MENTION] is simply making up his own facts as he goes along.

I looking back at my 3e grey elf wizard. Yeah, this elf subrace is as magicky as I remember him. The grey elf +2 Intelligence makes a strictly good wizard, including the two bonus spells from point-buy Intelligence 20 at level 1, when the 3e low-level wizard really needs more spells. The grey elf is exceptionally good at magic, with the appropriately potent ability score mechanics to actualize its wizardry flavor.

For the sun elf, 5e refers to the Forgotten Realms setting and might as well support its pure +2 Intelligence (no Dexterity) sun elf.

5e eladrin elf represents well the 3e grey elf as +2 Intelligence and +2 Dexterity, and represents well the 3e sun elf as +2 Intelligence and +2 Charisma.

4e has a number of cool things that 4e fans love are worthwhile for 5e to support, including warlord, wizardly eladrin, and so on.

Likewise, 3e does support nontheistic clerics, and it is legitimate to complain when 5e fails to.

Yaarel

He Mage
[MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION]

You complain that 5e changed the Monster Manual.

I complain 5e changed the grey elf and changed the sun elf, and changed the eladrin elf.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I looking back at my 3e grey elf wizard. Yeah, this elf subrace is as magicky as I remember him. The grey elf +2 Intelligence makes a strictly good wizard, including the two bonus spells from point-buy Intelligence 20 at level 1, when the 3e low-level wizard really needs more spells. The grey elf is exceptionally good at magic, with the appropriately potent ability score mechanics to actualize its wizardry flavor.

For the sun elf, 5e refers to the Forgotten Realms setting and might as well support its pure +2 Intelligence (no Dexterity) sun elf.

5e eladrin elf represents well the 3e grey elf as +2 Intelligence and +2 Dexterity, and represents well the 3e sun elf as +2 Intelligence and +2 Charisma.

4e has a number of cool things that 4e fans love are worthwhile for 5e to support, including warlord, wizardly eladrin, and so on.

Likewise, 3e does support nontheistic clerics, and it is legitimate to complain when 5e fails to.
You keep asserting that 5E is less god-hack friendly than 3.x in some way: please be more specific, with page citations.

It is a catagories mistake to compare 5E attribute numbers to 3.x or 4E: by the standard generation method, a High Elf can have 19 Intelligence at Level 1, which is half an ASI from the cap. However, they can be at 16, which is excellent, even with the anemic point buy or array variant rules. They are not the best Wizards (that would be Gnomes), but they are among the best, and can wield a sword as a Wizard or cast spells as a Fighter. That's the real Elf deal, naturally tending towards Gishiness.

Cyrinishad

Explorer
...3e does support nontheistic clerics, and it is legitimate to complain when 5e fails to.

This is not a legitimate complaint about 5e. I provided the direct quotes from the core 5e rules that indicates the fact that non-theistic clerics are fully functional according to the rules of the game.

Remove ads