D&D 1E Multi Class hit points

I am writing up a Half-Elf Cleric/ Ranger with a Con of 17. How do I calculate the hit points?

I know that I divide the roll from the hit dice in half. The question is do I add the Con bonus before or after I divide the roll?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I am writing up a Half-Elf Cleric/ Ranger with a Con of 17. How do I calculate the hit points?

I know that I divide the roll from the hit dice in half. The question is do I add the Con bonus before or after I divide the roll?
You should add the con bonus separately to each hp total, especially since the ranger might have a larger bonus (only fighter types can exceed +2). I find it simpler to keep a total for each class and average those totals every time one of them changes.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Not RAW but we just roll a die sized to the average between the two classes' dice, and the character always gets the better Con bonus. So here, it'd be a d8 (average of a d8 and a d8) + a d4 (half-size Ranger bonus die) + 3 (Con bonus).

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Oddly, the only time this was even semi-officially addressed to my knowledge was in Dragon #243 in 1998 (and yeah, I know, that's well into 2e). Still, for those interested, this is what Skip had to say:

"A multi-classed character's abilities are subject to considerable debate, even at TSR, inc. Here are some recommendations and observations on the matter:

For hit points, roll all the PC's Hit Dice, adjust each die for Constitution, and note the total. A character's hit-point rating is the average of all the dice (the total divided by the character's number of classes). Drop the fractions, but don't discard the total (you'll use it to help determine the character's hit points as she gains levels). Each time the character gains a level, roll the appropriate hit die, adjust for Constitution, and add it to the recorded total. Recalculate the character's hit points by dividing the new total by the character's number of classes, again dropping any fractions."

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Oddly, the only time this was even semi-officially addressed to my knowledge was in Dragon #243 in 1998 (and yeah, I know, that's well into 2e). Still, for those interested, this is what Skip had to say:

"A multi-classed character's abilities are subject to considerable debate, even at TSR, inc. Here are some recommendations and observations on the matter:

For hit points, roll all the PC's Hit Dice, adjust each die for Constitution, and note the total. A character's hit-point rating is the average of all the dice (the total divided by the character's number of classes). Drop the fractions, but don't discard the total (you'll use it to help determine the character's hit points as she gains levels). Each time the character gains a level, roll the appropriate hit die, adjust for Constitution, and add it to the recorded total. Recalculate the character's hit points by dividing the new total by the character's number of classes, again dropping any fractions."
Good idea. It saves you from losing multiple round-offs over your career, particularly for those triple-classed elves.

Voadam

Legend

I always split the HD for the two classes and split the con bonus among the classes, if there is a higher one (+2 versus +1 in your example for the +3 from Ranger with con 17) I added the higher one first when one class advanced before another. When they went up in levels was usually at different times so they would roll for the one class that advanced and add the partial con bonus if any at that time.

Remove ads