D&D 1E Multi Class hit points

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Good idea. It saves you from losing multiple round-offs over your career, particularly for those triple-classed elves.
Yeah, I always hated the salami-slicing effect myself, and I'd come to use fractional hit points long before I finally saw that Sage Advice. YMMV, as multi-classed characters are both too powerful and too weak simultaneously. At early levels of play, their slow development and shabby hit points hold them back from being very useful, but by name level, the fact that they're roughly 1-1.5 levels behind single-classed characters and can be more versatile and survivable can be close to game-breaking (though only close, as it's difficult to employ the advantages of two classes simultaneously). So whether they need a slight buff to hit points or not has a lot to do with the levels you play to and how individual campaigns are conducted.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Yeah, I always hated the salami-slicing effect myself, and I'd come to use fractional hit points long before I finally saw that Sage Advice. YMMV, as multi-classed characters are both too powerful and too weak simultaneously. At early levels of play, their slow development and shabby hit points hold them back from being very useful, but by name level, the fact that they're roughly 1-1.5 levels behind single-classed characters and can be more versatile and survivable can be close to game-breaking (though only close, as it's difficult to employ the advantages of two classes simultaneously). So whether they need a slight buff to hit points or not has a lot to do with the levels you play to and how individual campaigns are conducted.
The versatility was nice and helpful for overall party success, but the groups I played with never found it even close to game breaking. Multi-classing in AD&D led to my first realization that the action economy was important. While I knew one other player who argued that the small level differential with single class PCs meant multiclassers were overpowered, I recognized that didn't matter much because everything was still focused through one set of actions.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
The versatility was nice and helpful for overall party success, but the groups I played with never found it even close to game breaking. Multi-classing in AD&D led to my first realization that the action economy was important. While I knew one other player who argued that the small level differential with single class PCs meant multiclassers were overpowered, I recognized that didn't matter much because everything was still focused through one set of actions.
There were a few instances where it can really shine. My favorite example is the Thief. The Thief is a miserable class for just about everything other than their special skills, many of which can be obviated at higher levels. Many magic items exist (Cloaks and Boots of Elvenkind, Gauntlets of Swimming and Climbing, Rings of Chameleon Power or Invisibility, etc.) that allow anyone to replicate or surpass Thieving abilities, not to mention powerful spells that can render them moot.

A multiclassed Fighter/Thief, however, enjoys far better survivability and combat ability; a Cleric Thief does as well, plus with the addition of healing magic, and even a Mage/Thief benefits from synergies between their class abilities (who needs Hide in Shadows when you can turn yourself invisible?), all for a fairly trivial cost in the long run.

The Thief is also one of those odd classes where your primary ability score can make far more of a difference than your level. An Elven Ftr 1/Mage 1/Thf 2 with a 19 Dexterity will out perform a Thief 3 with 16 Dexterity, and not be all that far behind a Thief 4!

But again, this all has to do with factors such as how good are your ability scores, how quickly do characters level, how lethal is the campaign, and what level do campaigns get to (among other things). I've played in games where multiclassing is always the right choice, and played in games where you can't afford to dilly dally at level 1 for an instant longer than absolutely necessary.

Remove ads