• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multi-classing: thrill me

Grom Stonekin

First Post
4e multi-classing rules are rather restrictive and I have been struggling to think of class combos that are actually worth giving up a standard feat.
I came up with a Half-elf Paladin (high CHA) who uses the Warlock's Eyebite (a nod to his fey ancestors). Any other interesting and useful multi-classing ideas out there?

rhm001

First Post
I'm a fan of the Halfling Warlord/Rogue. You're a halfling, so you're likely using a shortsword---for the +3 and ability to use a shield---which will also work with backstab; attacks like Wolf Pack Tactics will help you set up flankings; you have a boost to Dex, and increasing it will help rogue abilities and give you access to more light blade feats; and there are a number of interesting Rogue utilities that are nice for anyone who can take them.

Simplicity

Explorer
Sure. How about a Ranger/Wizard. Ranger for powerful ranged attacks. Wizard for immobilization/difficult terrain type powers.
Or you could go with the levitate power...

Alot of combos though are just plain better done by having one of each in the party. If you're looking for something that's unique to that multiclass, it's a little harder.

Arbitrary

First Post
I've been plotting out a Cleric/Wizard that focuses on using hazardous terrain effects with forced movement. There is something glorious about putting someone in a Wall of Fire one turn and then moving them back and forth through it with a Command on the next.

rhm001

First Post
Grom Stonekin said:
I thought 4e multi-classing let you take only cross class feats not exploits.

For the first feat by itself, that's true. But there are three additional feats that let you swap one of your encounter, utility or daily powers (one feat for each type of power) for powers of the same level from the other class.

IanB

First Post
I'm playing a paladin with warlord secondary right now; the idea is that we have a defender (a fighter) and a leader (a warlord) and I will sort of split the difference and fill that '5th character' role for the group. The warlord and paladin share some important stats (strength and charisma) and I will just avoid picking up warlord things that require me to have anything in intelligence.

So far it is working fine - giving up a paragon path choice is probably going to weaken me overall but hopefully all the extra group healing/synergy/whatever will make up for it.

Remove ads