• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiclass Healing

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
A player in my campaign (a Hybrid Fighter/Cleric) recently took the Student of Battle multiclass feat, granting him the ability to use Inspiring Word once per encounter. Since he already has Healing Word (as a hybrid feature) this lets him heal twice an encounter like a "normal" healer.

However, a "normal" healer can only heal once a turn. The healing powers state you can only use them once a turn. Because they are different powers, the RAW imply that a multiclass healer can heal twice a turn.

Does this greatly imbalance the ability for players to heal? I didn't have a problem with it tonight, but could see it becoming abused at higher levels.

Trit

A cleric can use Healing Word, Bastion of Health, and Cure Light Wounds all in the same round. The specific healing power can only be used once per turn (if it says so), and that has no effect on other healing powers.

Said cleric PC could even have an adjacent ally use a standard action and a Heal check to trigger their Second Wind, healing 4 times in the same turn.

Cleric utility healing powers (such as Bastion of Health) let a cleric heal a lot in a round. If it seems too much, suggest the cleric PC take something more interesting. In this particular case, the combo is legal. (IMO, Student of Battle should have given a more warlord-worthy power.)

Rune

Once A Fool
I exploited this technicality on a regular basis with my bard-with-every-multiclass-healing-power-under-the-sun build. It was a lot of fun.

The cleric might be a more potent healer, but it's nowhere near as versitile a healer!

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
Ah, sounds like it's working as intended then. As I said, I had no problem with it this session, but wanted to make sure I wasn't opening myself up to problems later on. But if you guys vouch for it, I'm down for letting my players stay happy.

Trit

mneme

Explorer
well, except that Student of Battle is daily.

The only ways to get per encounter heals with multiclass feats that I know of is Mending Spirit (has to be second Shaman multiclass) and power swap feats.

Rune

Once A Fool
well, except that Student of Battle is daily.

The only ways to get per encounter heals with multiclass feats that I know of is Mending Spirit (has to be second Shaman multiclass) and power swap feats.

I believe the skald's multiclass heal is an encounter ability (of course, you can't take it if you're already a bard--not the OP's problem, I know). There's one more out there, but I can't remember it off the top of my head (might be the one you referenced).

Lord Ernie

First Post
I believe the skald's multiclass heal is an encounter ability (of course, you can't take it if you're already a bard--not the OP's problem, I know). There's one more out there, but I can't remember it off the top of my head (might be the one you referenced).
Incorrect (unless the compendium is mistaken). There's only one way of acquiring an encounter-based healing ability as a multiclass: Shaman (requires two feats: Spirit Talker and Mending Spirit). The Skald MC feat lists the same limitation as most of the other MC Leader feats:
Compendium said:
Benefit: You gain training in a skill of your choice from the bard’s list of class skills.
You also gain the skald bard’s skald’s aura power. The aura’s healing benefit can be used only once per day.
So yes, healing abilities like these are not so easy to acquire. Another possibility is to use Acolyte Power to swap one of your non-healing utilties for a healing utility of another class.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth

It used to be an encounter ability but recently got errata'ed to be a daily.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
One could also get two encounter heals that you can use in the same turn by hybriding between two leader classes.

Of course, while the ability to do two in the same turn is good, you are likely loosing out on the extra benefits of one of the classes healing power, and at paragon you will be down an encounter heal, as hybrid classes don't gain the extra heal the non-hybrid leaders get.

Remove ads