D&D 5E Multiple reactions replacing Legendary Actions?!

darjr

I crit!
MonsterEnvy posted the time dragon stats and it looks like Legendary Actions are out for multiple reactions.
From Twitter the time dragon. It appears Legendary Actions are gone, they have been turned into reactions that certain creatures can use more of. (Which does make sense as Legendary Actions technically were reactions)

IMG_8451.png

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Hmmmm... not entirely sure if I'm keen on it. To fully replace legendary actions, the triggering event that causes the legendary creature to react is "ends its turn". And, frankly, that's a lame trigger to "react" to. I feel the concept of legendary action is just stronger than gaining a bucketload of reactions to things that are dubious to react to.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Hmmmm... not entirely sure if I'm keen on it. To fully replace legendary actions, the triggering event that causes the legendary creature to react is "ends its turn". And, frankly, that's a lame trigger to "react" to. I feel the concept of legendary action is just stronger than gaining a bucketload of reactions to things that are dubious to react to.
I feel like both multiple reactions and Legendary Actions have value.

Some monsters aren't Legendary, but should get many reactions (Quicklings!). Some Legendary creatures don't need reactions because they aren't reacting to things, they're just massive.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I feel like both multiple reactions and Legendary Actions have value.

Some monsters aren't Legendary, but should get many reactions (Quicklings!). Some Legendary creatures don't need reactions because they aren't reacting to things, they're just massive.
It seems possible that they could still use Legendary Actions (or some other form of multiple actions) for truly major "solo" villains, but use multiple reactions for more "elite"-type creatures. IDK.

I do like how they're more fully integrated into the stat-block this way.

MarkB

Legend
I hope there will be clarification that the dragon can also use its reactions as normal reactions.

And for reactions that trigger "when a creature ends its turn", on which turn does the reaction occur?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I hope there will be clarification that the dragon can also use its reactions as normal reactions.

And for reactions that trigger "when a creature ends its turn", on which turn does the reaction occur?
I would think that would be DM's choice. Skip reacting after the fighter goes and react after the rogue goes.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Seems more like a semantic change than a rule change.

I wonder if they mean for that to result in more opportunity attacks and/or countrrspell, etc.

Remove ads