Multitouch Monitors and gaming

falcarrion

First Post
since I first saw videos of the Microsoft surface. I wanted a table to play on. I have tried using porjectors with ir pens, hdtv's with wireless ir pens and wireless mouse. and even checked into multitouch overlays for tv's. but with multotouch monitors, all in one solutions are here. Even though 27inch display may seem small ( my hdtv setup is 40 inches). most battles happen on a small enough scale that 27 inches would work just find. Thus I beleive I have found the perfect monitor.
The PLANAR PCT2785
http://www.planartouch.com/products/pct2785/#t-0

check it out and see for your self.
and yes it can be used flat.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
It does look like it might be a good answer. As you say, probably just large enough for much that someone might need, though still a little pricey. I suppose if one didn't mind a gap, you could use two in tandem also. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Seeing a story this morning of a comparable product from Lenovo coming out of CES. Essentially a 27" tablet computer, wieghing only 15#, with a MSRP tag of $1699. Touted as a "coffee table computer", intended to lie flat a la MS original Surface device.

These are all very cool. I like the old Surface demo with the gaming figs as well. It'd be nice if FLGSs invested in getting some of these. Once they're holographic, will miniatures still be a big deal, or will you just have to worry about your arm being pulled off by a Wookie when you roll a natural 20?

Yeah, this seems to be a thing. SEVERAL stories coming out of CES about new intended-to-be-horizontal screens/devices. All expensive enough to just ignore at this point. I'd rather spend the money on a Sultan game table. But I'm still dreaming of the day I can run my Old School game on a nearly-kitchen-table sized horizontal screen.

falcarrion

First Post
the planar is a widows 8 monitor only. going for around $700. The lenovo looks very nice but when layed down it switches from windows 8 to their overlay program. What I want to do is be able to run maptools or simular programs on it. that might not be possable with the overlay program. What a shame. I still need to see the panasonic version.
As for miniatures. I already came up with a way to use them simular to how a stylus works.

Last edited:

Remove ads