• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Mundane Healing

Wepwawet

Explorer
I'm reading the PHB preparing to run HotDQ with a group that will probably be low on healing magic.

I need help on healing options not dependent on Class. So, this is what we have:
- on short or long rests a character can spend Hit Dice
- potion of healing heals 2d4+2 hp
- Healer feat allows a character to stabilize to 1hp and to use a healing kit to heal 1d6+4+nr. of max Hit Dice
... and that's it.

I feel that someone proficient in Wisdom(Medicine) should be able to use a healing kit to effectively heal someone, but of course there's no rules. How to allow that without making the Healer feat obsolete? Would it really make the feat obsolete?

Also the PHB says that a Herbalism kit is required to make antitoxins and potions of healing. Does anyone have an idea about how to implement that?

I know that many answers will be in the DMG, but I want to be able to play without it.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm reading the PHB preparing to run HotDQ with a group that will probably be low on healing magic.

I need help on healing options not dependent on Class. So, this is what we have:
- on short or long rests a character can spend Hit Dice
- potion of healing heals 2d4+2 hp
- Healer feat allows a character to stabilize to 1hp and to use a healing kit to heal 1d6+4+nr. of max Hit Dice
... and that's it.

I feel that someone proficient in Wisdom(Medicine) should be able to use a healing kit to effectively heal someone, but of course there's no rules. How to allow that without making the Healer feat obsolete? Would it really make the feat obsolete?

Also the PHB says that a Herbalism kit is required to make antitoxins and potions of healing. Does anyone have an idea about how to implement that?

I know that many answers will be in the DMG, but I want to be able to play without it.

The healer feat is per short rest per person. Every hour you can use it for the 1d6+4+level effect on every person and it is 5gp for 10 uses.

Rune

Once A Fool
You may want to allow ways to spend Hit Dice during combat.

For instance, if there is a fighter, allow Second Wind to heal an additional Xd10 at the cost of X Hit Dice.

You could also let a Wisdom (Medicine) check allow in-combat Hit Dice expenditures for healing. Possibly with a cap of one Hit Die per 2 points above 10 that the check results in.

mcbobbo

Explorer
You said mundane, but could consider providing a healing wand modeled after the magic missile example. It may wind up being a bit OP presented that way, but I have had that thought myself.

Murkmoldiev

First Post
Heal checks.

Kits. First aid kit costs 25 gold. contains basic sterilizers and first aid supply's
Has 10 uses

Post battle first aid. Takes one min and uses one use
Medicine check.
DC 10 heals 1 hp. DC 15 Heals 3 hp DC 20, 5 or half thats lost in the last fight + con which ever is more.

Tormyr

Hero
You said mundane, but could consider providing a healing wand modeled after the magic missile example. It may wind up being a bit OP presented that way, but I have had that thought myself.
We are running a 3.5 conversion that has several wands of cure light wounds. I made those wands of Healing Word modeled after the wand of Magic Missile. At 1d4 + 2 hp per charge, they don't do much. They are mainly used to keep people from dying when they go unconscious. The maximum you would ever get out of it would be 7d4 + 14, or the equivalent of a few HD, before burning it out.

Although the wand is not a very mundane way to heal. :)

mcbobbo

Explorer
We are running a 3.5 conversion that has several wands of cure light wounds. I made those wands of Healing Word modeled after the wand of Magic Missile. At 1d4 + 2 hp per charge, they don't do much. They are mainly used to keep people from dying when they go unconscious. The maximum you would ever get out of it would be 7d4 + 14, or the equivalent of a few HD, before burning it out.

Although the wand is not a very mundane way to heal. :)
Honestly, I would probably keep the d8 listed in the Cure Wounds spell.

Is it working though? No issues?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads