Murder is the Pits

ajanders

Explorer
Bront said:
Vanitri board the strange carrage.

"I agree. I am likely more effective with a second person in the ring, but I think either of you two could keep lil'sis safer. I'm not sure which of us should pair with which of you though."

Michael shrugs equably again. He's been doing a lot of that lately.
"I'd say all three of you are a lot better than I am, so I'll defer to the group opinion. Something I'm more worried about is just how your deaths happened. Somebody got a little over-enthusiastic in the ring?"

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Once everyone is loaded up and holding tightly to the leather straps provided, Petra feeds a small oat cake to each horse then leaps into the steering seat to urge them forward at a breakneck pace. As the miles pass quickly (for the horses show no sign of tiring) the young half elf shouts back responses to your questions over the noise of the road. Between the many cries of "what?" and calls for her to repeat herself, you gather the base facts.

Two gladiators died in the ring, having bled out from injuries that did not seem overwhelming before they could be attended to. On the second occurance Petra became suspicious and demanded the right to inspect the weapons of the opposing gladiator, but could find no trace of poison. She thinks perhaps something was put in their food to make them bleed more freely - such a poison could have been safely ingested by the poisoner as well if they were not planning on being cut up any time soon. She started preparing as many of 'her' gladiators meals herself as possible.

A week later, one of her stars was found stabbed to death in the baths. The wounds seemed to have been made by the shortswords commonly used by entry level gladiators, and were in his front back and sides, indicating either more than one attacker or an overly angry one. The next week, the same thing happened to another star in the markets, and no witnesses could be found. At this point, Petra ordered all of her gladiators on lockdown in the barracks, not to go anywhere alone, and came to the Red Dragon to seek help.

ajanders

Explorer
Kahuna Burger said:
Two gladiators died in the ring, having bled out from injuries that did not seem overwhelming before they could be attended to. On the second occurance Petra became suspicious and demanded the right to inspect the weapons of the opposing gladiator, but could find no trace of poison. She thinks perhaps something was put in their food to make them bleed more freely - such a poison could have been safely ingested by the poisoner as well if they were not planning on being cut up any time soon. She started preparing as many of 'her' gladiators meals herself as possible.
Michael ponders the sort of drug that might be, using his healing skill. The atmosphere is not necessarily conducive to the deep thought this requires, but he concentrates hard, periodically trying to pull thoughtfully at his lower lip before remembering the cart is going very fast.

Kahuna Burger said:
A week later, one of her stars was found stabbed to death in the baths. The wounds seemed to have been made by the shortswords commonly used by entry level gladiators, and were in his front back and sides, indicating either more than one attacker or an overly angry one. The next week, the same thing happened to another star in the markets, and no witnesses could be found. At this point, Petra ordered all of her gladiators on lockdown in the barracks, not to go anywhere alone, and came to the Red Dragon to seek help.

Great. Uncle Andrew always said it was unhealthy to bathe more than once a month. I guess he may be right after all.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
ajanders said:
Michael ponders the sort of drug that might be, using his healing skill. The atmosphere is not necessarily conducive to the deep thought this requires, but he concentrates hard, periodically trying to pull thoughtfully at his lower lip before remembering the cart is going very fast.
Micheal [sblock]He does recal being told that some herbs that are good for relieving a headache or sore back should not be given to a badly injured man because they could cause his wounds to bleed more freely. Perhaps a concentrated version of one of these healing drugs had been employed to unsavory ends?[/sblock]

all, ooc:[sblock] pretty pretty please put a link to your character sheet post in your sig. I will love you forever![/sblock]

ajanders

Explorer
"Yes, but now which herbs?" Michael muses to himself, and wonders exactly how many Detect Poison spells he can cast in a day.
(OOC. Am attempting the .sig update. If the boards crash, I hit the wrong button.)

Bront

The man with the probe
Vanitri has a couple of questions for Petra

"Who are the major owners or organizations on the pits?"

"Do you know of any rival owners or organizations that you may have wronged any time reciently?"

"What do the powers that be in the pits think of these deaths?"

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Bront said:
Vanitri has a couple of questions for Petra

"Who are the major owners or organizations on the pits?"

"Do you know of any rival owners or organizations that you may have wronged any time reciently?"

"What do the powers that be in the pits think of these deaths?"

Petra doesn't know much about her master's business dealings outside of the Pits and there hasn't been any shady recruitments or carreer ending embarrassments of another party's champions recently. The Arena itself is owned in part by the city and in part by a major banking house which bankrolls the betting offices, and while many gladiators are owned by the Arena, many others are a financial and social investment on the part of men like Petra's master, much like a stable of racehorses would be.

So far, Petra has kept the connections between the deaths and her suspicions about those in the ring quiet, trying not to show weakness before those of her master's rivals who are not behind this. The Management of the Arena either has not made the connections or prefers for reasons of their own to stay quiet about this issue, as no one has spoken directly to Petra or her master about the suspicious pattern in the deaths.

Bront

The man with the probe
Kahuna Burger said:
Petra doesn't know much about her master's business dealings outside of the Pits and there hasn't been any shady recruitments or carreer ending embarrassments of another party's champions recently. The Arena itself is owned in part by the city and in part by a major banking house which bankrolls the betting offices, and while many gladiators are owned by the Arena, many others are a financial and social investment on the part of men like Petra's master, much like a stable of racehorses would be.

So far, Petra has kept the connections between the deaths and her suspicions about those in the ring quiet, trying not to show weakness before those of her master's rivals who are not behind this. The Management of the Arena either has not made the connections or prefers for reasons of their own to stay quiet about this issue, as no one has spoken directly to Petra or her master about the suspicious pattern in the deaths.

Vanitri nods as he takes this in.

OOC: use [ URL=http://character.com ]My Character[ /url ] without the spaces between the [ ].

Kahuna Burger

First Post
it is late afternoon when Petra pulls the chariot into the courtyard of another inn, this one with no giant dragon. The group clamors out, all grimed from head to toe with the dust kicked up by the horses and tired just from holding the straps and withstanding the bumps. The half elf calls a stable boy to rub down the horses and give them plenty of hot oats, and then leads you into the inn where she pays for two rooms out of the pouch at her waist. "I hope you don't mind bunking with me Rosey," she says smiling. "I wasn't given enough of a budget for everyone to have seperate rooms, so its boys and girls I guess."

As you eat dinner, she discusses the group's strengths and weaknesses in the ring, and preliminarily assignes Micheal to work with Vanitri, and Ironwolf with Rosalyn. "We'll do a little practice in the morning, and I'll help you all with your style."

Remove ads