Murder is the Pits

Bront

The man with the probe
Vanitri checks to make sure Petra woke up. Wouldn't do well to have the boss die on the first day.

ajanders said:
Edited 11:10, 6/3, to remove way too many bonus spells.
This is why I usually play fighters.
OOC: I'd been hoping you found a neat loophole in spells per day, hehe. NP, it happens.

Patlin

Explorer
Kahuna Burger said:
all, ooc:[sblock] pretty pretty please put a link to your character sheet post in your sig. I will love you forever![/sblock]

ooc: I've altered my .sig slightly, following the lead of Creamsteak and Manzanita. If you hate this, I'll change it back. :)

Bront

The man with the probe
Patlin said:
Perhaps KB has a three day weekend out of town? I expect we'll hear from him again on Monday.
OOC: I've seen him around in other threads, just not here. I do understand that occasionaly you don't have time to GM when you have time to post. I won't panic till he's gone for over a week from here.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
edit:
Bront said:
OOC: I've seen her around in other threads, just not here. I do understand that occasionaly you don't have time to GM when you have time to post. I won't panic till she's gone for over a week from here.

ehem. :p sorry, limited computer time over the weekend, and its easier to respond than dm...

ok, back to business....

In the morning, Petra drills the two pairs for a few hours, discussing with the cleric spells of aid he can use and how to make their casting part of the show, and working with all of the new gladiators on how to make their fighting flashy as well as effective.

Then you take off again, for another harrowing ride. When you arrive that evening in the city of Earling, the first stop is a banking house, where you read over the contracts Petra has had prepared, and you are assured that if you wish your money held in trust with certain instructions, that can be easily accomplished. Then an older woman approaches with 4 long rods of stone and a magical wand....

It is late in the evening when you finally enter the arena itself, as the last crowds of the night are leaving. You pass through the betting rooms, where happy patrons are exchanging tickets for money, and disapointed ones have left their lossing recipts in drifts on the floor, through the pens where a variety of strange beasts are awaiting battle, across the main arena floor itself, where workers in slave collars are gathering peices of broken weaponry and sweeping the sand into smooth lines again, and finally into the barracks section. One wing is flanked by guards, and Petra points it out as the "involuntaries" quarters - slaves impressed due to crimes mostly, who are not as well trusted in the first years of their servitude. Being a gladiator is still considered a better life by most than prison or the mining work they could have been bought for, and most eventually make their way into the general barracks.

In the common space, some warriors spar, while others play dice or eat heartily. One young man sits and winces as an older warrior marked with the scars of many years of combat examines a fresh slash across his cheek. "No one told you to volunteer for a beast fight this soon, and if you'd asked I could have told you they don't have the politeness to aim away from the pretty face. I'm trying to make sure you can chew without your food falling out the side, you want to hire a healer to save your looks, I'll go back to what I was doing...." Seeing you walk in, he calls, "Petra, lass, good to see you back! These the fresh stallions for your master's stable? Ah excuse me, and a fine filly as well!" he waves her over, and says in a quieter tone, "just so you know, you need to keep the Ripper out of the common room or get him to stop cheating at dice. I'm the only one to catch him this time, but..." he lets it fade off meaningfully, and Petra gives a rueful nod.

Finally she brings you to a private set of rooms, with several bunkbeds, some already holding sleeping forms. "The washup is at the end, and you can take any bed the isn't claimed," she says in a more businesslike tone than she had used before. "I'll be by in the morning to even out your equiptment and schedule in your first bouts. Welcome to the Pits, folks, don't forget to tip your server."

Patlin

Explorer
As they pass near the wounded man, Ironwolf nudges Michael. In a whisper: "Never too early to make friends... or contacts. Can you heal him?"

In response to evening out our equipment: "Heavier armor would be greatly apreciated, if that is available."

Ironwolf otherwise remains quiet, allowing Vanitri and Rosalynn to make the introductions.

ajanders

Explorer
Pas de sweat, KB.
By the way, thanks for taking time to do this.

Kahuna Burger said:
In the morning, Petra drills the two pairs for a few hours, discussing with the cleric spells of aid he can use and how to make their casting part of the show, and working with all of the new gladiators on how to make their fighting flashy as well as effective.
In Michael's case, the words "lipstick on a pig" come to mind...even for the people who don't have lipstick in their local cultures.
Michael being flashy looks silly. Michael angry...like when the chariot rolls over his toe...is a little more impressive. Must be some barbarian stock in his family tree, way way back.

Kahuna Burger said:
Then you take off again, for another harrowing ride. When you arrive that evening in the city of Earling, the first stop is a banking house, where you read over the contracts Petra has had prepared, and you are assured that if you wish your money held in trust with certain instructions, that can be easily accomplished. Then an older woman approaches with 4 long rods of stone and a magical wand....
(This is where we get collared, right? Or is something else going on with the stone rods?)
Michael arranges for his money to be held in trust, fixing the teller with the gimlet eye of a farmer dealing with a big-city banker. (Ie, pretty gimlet.)

Kahuna Burger said:
It is late in the evening when you finally enter the arena itself, as the last crowds of the night are leaving. You pass through the betting rooms, where happy patrons are exchanging tickets for money, and disapointed ones have left their lossing recipts in drifts on the floor, through the pens where a variety of strange beasts are awaiting battle, across the main arena floor itself, where workers in slave collars are gathering peices of broken weaponry and sweeping the sand into smooth lines again, and finally into the barracks section. One wing is flanked by guards, and Petra points it out as the "involuntaries" quarters - slaves impressed due to crimes mostly, who are not as well trusted in the first years of their servitude. Being a gladiator is still considered a better life by most than prison or the mining work they could have been bought for, and most eventually make their way into the general barracks.
Ooh! Rubbernecking!
What's the mood? Anybody make an upset? More importantly, any fatalities?
What are the teams? Who's the favorites?
Uhh, what team are we on?

Kahuna Burger said:
In the common space, some warriors spar, while others play dice or eat heartily. One young man sits and winces as an older warrior marked with the scars of many years of combat examines a fresh slash across his cheek. "No one told you to volunteer for a beast fight this soon, and if you'd asked I could have told you they don't have the politeness to aim away from the pretty face. I'm trying to make sure you can chew without your food falling out the side, you want to hire a healer to save your looks, I'll go back to what I was doing...." Seeing you walk in, he calls, "Petra, lass, good to see you back! These the fresh stallions for your master's stable? Ah excuse me, and a fine filly as well!" he waves her over, and says in a quieter tone, "just so you know, you need to keep the Ripper out of the common room or get him to stop cheating at dice. I'm the only one to catch him this time, but..." he lets it fade off meaningfully, and Petra gives a rueful nod.
How common is this common area? Are there only gladiators of Petra's master here?
What's the general mood...like a locker room, like a bar, like barely restrained violence?
(I'm thinking bar brawls in a gladiatorial school are all kinds of bad.)
As they pass near the wounded man, Ironwolf nudges Michael. In a whisper: "Never too early to make friends... or contacts. Can you heal him?"

Michael blinks as his people-watching is interrupted.
"Well, yes. Just a moment."
He examines the man's face carefully, trying to decide whether it needs a cure minor wounds or a cure light wounds.
A cure minor wounds should do.
Michael approaches the men, bows slightly and greets them in Sela's name.
"That's a nasty cut there, brother. What happened?"
Kahuna Burger said:
Finally she brings you to a private set of rooms, with several bunkbeds, some already holding sleeping forms. "The washup is at the end, and you can take any bed the isn't claimed," she says in a more businesslike tone than she had used before. "I'll be by in the morning to even out your equiptment and schedule in your first bouts. Welcome to the Pits, folks, don't forget to tip your server."
Michael moves with the alacrity of a man who had many older brothers for the bottom bunk closest to the bathroom.
(edited to provide clarity on Michael's conversational approach.)

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Kahuna Burger said:
edit:

ehem. :p sorry, limited computer time over the weekend, and its easier to respond than dm...
OOC: Cool, np. Kinda hard to tell the sex of a Burger too, sorry.

Bront

The man with the probe
Kahuna Burger said:

ajanders said:
In Michael's case, the words "lipstick on a pig" come to mind...even for the people who don't have lipstick in their local cultures.
Michael being flashy looks silly. Michael angry...like when the chariot rolls over his toe...is a little more impressive. Must be some barbarian stock in his family tree, way way back.

Fortunately for Michael, Vanitri's shifting and movement allows for some excelent teemwork and flanking maneuvers. With Michael looking fierce, and Vanitri looking shifty, it works fairly well.

Kahuna Burger said:

Vanitri makes a note that Roselynn can autorize his release as well. Otherwise, he signes whatever agreements he needs to sign.

Kahuna Burger said:
It is late in the evening when you finally enter the arena itself, ...
"Welcome to the Pits, folks, don't forget to tip your server."

Vanitri asks Petra "Who is this 'Ripper'? Perhaps I can disuade him by beating him at his own game."

Once he gets an answer, he walks with Michael over to the wounded fighter and the man tending him. "Greetings, I am Vanitri and this is my partner Michael. Michael knows a bit about healing, and perhaps he could help a bit with your face if you would like."*

assuming they're friendly "We're new here in the pits. You two look like you know your way around here. You think you could perhaps give us a tour from the inside view? I'm sure the owners and managers didn't mention everything."

*OOC:[sblock]Diplomacy check to hopefully ellicit a friendly reaction[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads