• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Music for a CoC game

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
The most unnerving, disturbing soundtrack I've heard, I think, was the soundtrack to There Will Be Blood. Seriously, the soundtrack was HUGE in the effort to create the very weird, creepy atmosphere for the movie, and I think it would make great background music for a CoC game.

Memnoch3434

First Post
I know this is a bit of necromancy but I found exactly what I was looking for.

Check it
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECyfX1OR_nk]Bohren & der Club of Gore - Prowler - YouTube[/ame]

Janx

Hero
I'd suggest using the standard music from the period, but with one addition.

Infrasound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some of these frequencies can cause feelings of dread that the listener can't put their finger on because they can't hear them. Play a loop of infrasound under the music playlist and see if that has the desired effect.

this sounds pretty cool, but I think you're going to need a cone capable of emitting a 17-9hz frequency. Just a guess, but a regular speaker can't do it. Given that running my bass through a guitar amp can damage the cone, there are certain frequency ranges that a cone is rated for, and signal outside of that range isn't really good for them or isn't really capable of resonating correctly.

I'm not a sound guy, simply relating some basic layman's concepts to the problem.

get the right speaker (the wiki article references using a "extra-long-stroke subwoofer" for instance, and hook that to a seperate generator (laptop or small piece of circuitry given that it is a simple sine wave signal), and you've got your new mood generator.

as for sound tracks, you could look for the stuff used in the LA Noire game (post WW2 1940's era). Or look up top 40 hits from the 30's. Make a few radio announcement MP3 snippets and put shuffle the whole stack with those mixed in and you've got a 1930's radio station mix... You might even use the news announcements as audio cues/clues to the main story the players are going to investigate.

Remove ads