• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Musical RPG

Midnight Dawns

First Post
I was talking with some friends and the idea came up of running a musical RPG. The idea has been slowly growing on me but I am unsure in what direction to take it. Has anyone done anything similar or have any ideas?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I never got to run it, but for a mini con I once planned a Six String Samurai inspired post apocalyptic band on the run game. The key was that we'd use Rock Band for the musical sequences: skill rolls and play before would determine the difficulty setting for each player, and scores in the game would determine RPG results.

1Mac

First Post
I could have sworn I remember reading about a Heavy Metal RPG in development somewhere. My feeble search-fu isn't finding it, though.

Midnight Dawns

First Post
Well when the idea was originally kicked around there was the idea of the players having to sing, maybe even doing a song and dance routine during things like combat and the npcs doing similar. I just haven't been sure how far it should go or what the rules behind it would be.

Crothian

First Post
The closest I came to this was a Paranoia game in which the Happiness Officer led the group in song to make sure everyone was happy. In the 4 hour session they must have sung a half dozen songs. It was pure awesome! :D

Remove ads