Musing on the Nature of Character in RPGs

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I played my first session of The Between last night, and this morning I was musing on character and how differently character is created/evinced in different games. I’m not talking about mechanics, although there is some input from mechanics here, but rather about the very conception of the character and how I approached creating character. Because there is a difference here, and I think a rather interesting one. I’m going to talk about two characters, a character of mine from a Blades in the Dark game and a character from a recently started The Between game and look at how I conceived them in different ways because of the different games.

Blades in the Dark follows a fairly conventional process for character where you select a number of background details and craft a short conception of who this character is from them. These then feed into play as XP triggers – if your background or heritage or something important to your character comes up and directs play, you mark XP (and can do so up to twice). If your vice comes up and causes a problem, you mark XP. Like that. So, this background you craft in Blades is going to be critical in play, because play is going to involve it quite often. As such, I when I built this character, I went with short, evocative statements for the creation questions to craft many hooks to grab play. I picked Skovlander as my Heritage because I wanted to play an ex-guerilla from the recent war (which Skovland lost). I picked military because I wanted to reinforce that and to select a set of things I could lean into during play. I picked my rival as a former compatriot in the war that I betrayed and sold out to the enemy. And I formed the belief of this character that the war was a lost cause, better to fight for a good life rather than a cause. All of this was in character creation – I had a handle on some major things that drove this character but I didn’t really have a characterization, yet. I found that in play, as this met the game and evolved, and I found how my character expressed themselves and engaged the fiction. This was complicated by the fact that my character is a slide and leaned hard into the disguises and cons for scores, so the basic “how does this character act as themselves” was complicated. I do not have a silly voice for Mister (the alias of my PC). I don’t have a strong set of mannerisms for them. I do have a very strong sense of what motivates them and so in a given situation I can easily see how to engage that with my choices. Because of this, I don’t find myself doing a lot of 1st person stuff, or spouting dialogue (although this does happen often enough). My first reach for play here is to connect what’s happening to those motivations and considerations – what does my character want? I feel like I know my character very well, and have from the start, but not in characterization, just in motivations. As in, I’m not clear on what Mister sounds like, but I am clear on what Mister wants. I find this interesting.

Now, to contrast Blades with The Between. Here the game tells you to NOT create a backstory. At all. Details of your past will come out, but you create them only when directed to by play (there are things that do this in the game). I could talk about why this is, as there is a reason for it, but it’s not really important to the bits about creating the character for play. In The Between, the playbooks you select has a broad shape of a background baked in. I selected The American (the game is set in London, so this is a distinction) and the playbook tells me I was a scion of a powerful American East Coast family (the game is set in the late 1800’s) that ran away and took up a life in the western frontier. There you were cursed, and have fled that curse to London, but it’s caught up to you. That’s your backstory, but you are not to create any details for this. This created an interesting situation for me – I have to play a character where I don’t have background details, just a general arc, to pull from. I don’t have the usual RPG levers to pull to get to a concept of character. I have a few XP triggers that suggest (like standing out in London society for the wrong reasons), but they’re thin. So, how do I get to character? I went with characterization. Instead of working from a suite of background details that I could share with fellow players and let them do some work in explaining my character (I mean, we share backstories like this to do exactly this in play for most games) I was expressly forbidden from doing this. So, I thought to how movies do character. When you meet a movie character for the first time, there’s no background you can pull from (excepting franchises of course, with previously established characters) as an audience. Instead, you rely on costuming, mannerism, and voice (not just how the character sounds, but word choice and speech patterns) to immediately get a sense of the character. Here, I had The American, from the west. Tropes are easy. I started with a pretty tropey character description – white cowboy hat, leather duster, turquoise bolo and belt, shooting irons, blue jeans, and silver chased boots with spurs. Then I added tanned but not overly worn face, blonde shoulder length hair, and handlebar mustaches. I think almost everyone can see this guy now, so good. Then, I picked a few recent cowboy characters I liked and sorta mashed them together into a voice and set of mannerisms, and ended with a cross between Rooster Cogburn (from True Grit) and Buster Scruggs, in that I sound more like Rooster (and I do this voice, and stayed in it for most of the session because it grounded me to the character) but use the word choices and patterns of Buster – that homey sound and structure, disarming friendliness, but clearly educated pattern of speaking. This character gelled for me immediately. And what I have is a character where I know exactly how they look and sound in play, but I’m not entirely clear on their motivations. Kind of the opposite of my Blades character.

There’s not much of a point here really, just a musing on how two different RPGs led me to consider character in two very different ways and then approach playing these characters in different ways. In Blades, I have a clear sense of motivation, but my mental image of how the character looks and sounds is a tad blurry and in places outright indistinct (like, I do not have a clear image of what Mister looks like outside of his attire). In the other, I have a very clear sense of exactly what this character looks like and how they sound, but I don’t have the motivations or what they want dialed in. To me, and the way I think, this is fascinating and I love the differences.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
This is precisely why I dont like generic systems. Or, I should say picking a generic system and just applying whatever skin fancies my table at the time. I love the variety of ways different games come at role play and gaming. I have a long running thread over at Paizo called systems are a journey, not the destination. It may have some interest in diving further into even more differences.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That's a fascinating comparison, especially with the rather novel (to me, at least) approach the Between takes. Do you think other games could benefit from eliding backstory and focusing on outward characterization, or is it something specific to the Between? From my quick reading, it seems that the backstory for the characters is something that's "discovered" for each playbook during the course of play.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I really like the way The Between approaches character backstory. It's interesting to see a comparison of how that affects character conception and portrayal compared to another game. It seems like The Between approaches the idea from a more cinematic mindset....that what we have to go on initially is the surface level information like appearance and mannerisms and dialogue.

I agree with the assessment of Blades. In the campaign I'm playing in, I similarly don't rely on a lot of first person dialogue and so on, but I do have a pretty strong idea of my character and his goals and concerns and that kind of thing. And all of that guides my decisions in play, even if it may not be revealed openly.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
I definitely feel that the mechanics of a system help shape the character. For class-based systems, I tend to find a class I want to play then create a person based around what drew me to the class in question. While this is occasionally done via a deliberate subversion of class expectations, the class the character is informs who they are. And usually there's some cool class feature down the line I have my eye on, so the character is built in a way that the fictional progression is plausible for them.

For games like Burning Wheel with an explicit lifepath system, where your character came from is unavoidably a heavy consideration in who it is that you're bringing to the table. Were they peasant-born but ascended to nobility later in life? Then they'll have actual mechanical characteristics, quirks and skills that reflect that. Where they came from has significantly more weight then other games.

Games like Beyond The Wall And Other Adventures make how your characters know each other and why they care about each other part of character generation, which is interesting because they can give your character background events that you wouldn't normally have chosen for yourself, and you need to figure out how they make sense for your vision of your character.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I definitely feel that the mechanics of a system help shape the character. For class-based systems, I tend to find a class I want to play then create a person based around what drew me to the class in question. While this is occasionally done via a deliberate subversion of class expectations, the class the character is informs who they are. And usually there's some cool class feature down the line I have my eye on, so the character is built in a way that the fictional progression is plausible for them.
I really dive into the mechanics of class, background, etc.. based on campaign info. For example, Paizo adventure paths usually come with a pretty in-depth players guide. Its gotten to the point I as my GMs for as much campaign detail as they can provide to help me dive in.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
I really dive into the mechanics of class, background, etc.. based on campaign info. For example, Paizo adventure paths usually come with a pretty in-depth players guide. Its gotten to the point I as my GMs for as much campaign detail as they can provide to help me dive in.
I have issues with how Paizo designs their adventure paths, but man I love that each one had an associated player's guide full of suggestions and background options for making a character that fits the more narrative-heavy style of Paizo Adventure Paths.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
From this, I have to think playing a character in The Between would feel to me at least a little bit as though I was playing someone else's character, in the same way that in a band, playing a cover is (most of the time) playing someone else's song. (it is possible to take a cover and make it yours but that has always felt to me like an exception, not the default)

@Ovinomancer

Could you say a bit more about the differences between your cognitive and emotional orientation toward:

* The Constable of the St James Street Precinct as Rattlesnake.

* Lieutenant Doyle of the Charterhall Precinct as Mister.

Maybe talk about a specific moment of play and how system/GMing work in concert with your own play space to differentiate your orientation in those moments.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
@Ovinomancer

Could you say a bit more about the differences between your cognitive and emotional orientation toward:

* The Constable of the St James Street Precinct as Rattlesnake.
The deputy? In game I was approaching him because it makes sense to me that Rattlesnake was comfortable with the law in the West and predicated his assumption that it would be about the same here. I was actually ready for that to not work out, but the move to invite for a drink is just plain universal. I could easily see the deputy becoming a friend of Rattlesnake, or at least a drinking buddy. There's very much a sense here of a personal relationship based on shared interests.

ETA: yes, I know it's constable. You aren't changing Rattlesnake, though. Every policeman's gonna be deputy or a sheriff or a Marshal.
* Lieutenant Doyle of the Charterhall Precinct as Mister.
So, this has somewhat evolved. At no point did Mister look at Doyle as a friend. He was an target to be manipulated for advantage, then an asset to be used. At first, Mister wouldn't have stepped in to help Doyle unless it offered clear advantage towards something Mister wanted. Then, Mister viewed him as an extension of the crew, if a distant one, and so the idea of protection extended as well. Now? Asset. Nothing more. Mister will spend him for advantage in a heartbeat, but keeps a long eye on things so as not to waste him.

That shift was when Mister picked up Cold as a trauma. You should ask about Martha. Cause I don't know the answer to that one.
Maybe talk about a specific moment of play and how system/GMing work in concert with your own play space to differentiate your orientation in those moments.
I'm not sure there's been a moment of play that's useful to clarify Rattlesnake's relationship -- too new, nothing really called on yet. For Doyle, we did go out of our way to make sure he was clear of the Durmont business (we framed Doyle's superior officer, but it turned out he was possessed by a demon, so we also dealt with that). That was a very important point for that score. I know that the other two in the Crew have a different take on relationships in Blades, and foresee some of my recent trauma acquisitions as being a point of contention. We haven't really talked about the dog incident yet.

I'm actually finding that a fascinating bit about the Blades game. Our crew has been remarkably consistent and on the same page, but the recent spate of bad luck and traumas mounting up on members is starting to drive wedges into the crew. I've never gotten that deep into Blades to observe how traumas can create intra-crew problems and new spaces for play. Very cool stuff. To me, at least.

Last edited:

Remove ads