Musing on the Nature of Character in RPGs

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
So, I never felt as though those were untoward consequences. They didn't really nerf the sword, or the character, and they were ... apt. Especially since that Commune-type move seemed to be an engine for GM Hard Moves more than anything else.

OTOH, I gave up the sword easily and without a fight--and I knew the character would be fine without it, verbiage in the game text about being "useless" without the signature weapon notwithstanding.

So, I never felt as though those were untoward consequences. They didn't really nerf the sword, or the character, and they were ... apt. Especially since that Commune-type move seemed to be an engine for GM Hard Moves more than anything else.

OTOH, I gave up the sword easily and without a fight--and I knew the character would be fine without it, verbiage in the game text about being "useless" without the signature weapon notwithstanding.

I don't know what answer I expected there. But, in light of that answer, can you maybe unpack the difference between how you are oriented toward the above and (a) how you're sensing how you might feel badly about gun ordinances being on the table in the above scenario and then (b) how playing a Dog in the Dogs in the Vineyard might feel for you (where every gun you have, whether its a d8 or d10, will have a d4 rider with it which will serve to significantly increase the likelihood of post-conflict Fallout for your character every time you use your gun in a conflict)?

Also, so that is how you felt (from a character build perspective). Did the reality of that framing and those consequences being on the table impact how you felt your way through the game via the medium of Toru? Did you feel different about Toru or through Toru...overall in an a particular situation because of it?

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I don't know what answer I expected there. But, in light of that answer, can you maybe unpack the difference between how you are oriented toward the above and (a) how you're sensing how you might feel badly about gun ordinances being on the table in the above scenario and then (b) how playing a Dog in the Dogs in the Vineyard might feel for you (where every gun you have, whether its a d8 or d10, will have a d4 rider with it which will serve to significantly increase the likelihood of post-conflict Fallout for your character every time you use your gun in a conflict)?
There is a difference between "bearing a sword that captures spirits has consequences" and "it is against the local laws for your gunslinger character to have a gun." I guess what might worry me (GM matters here) is the thought that any gun laws might be used to specifically nerf a gunslinger character. There's something of a difference between the thought I had in play of "this headsman's sword probably captures souls--that could be interesting" and "I'm choosing to play a character defined (in part) by carrying a gun." In the latter, the gun seems more mechanically defining to the character, and I'd be more worried about that core being negated as a player as well as more reluctant to target it as a GM (in, to be clear, non-PbtA games--the priorities are different)

As for Dogs ... Given that there's a theme in the game--it's right there in the mechanics, if one looks--that getting into conflicts damages you, and it damages you by eroding or outright destroying your connections to the things you care about ... That seems on-theme, and it makes sense for drawing one's guns and explicitly making the conflict that violent might ... erode some part of you. If I were to play Dogs, I think I'd be fine with that rider on guns.
Also, so that is how you felt (from a character build perspective). Did the reality of that framing and those consequences being on the table impact how you felt your way through the game via the medium of Toru? Did you feel different about Toru or through Toru...overall in an a particular situation because of it?
I don't think the types of consequences regarding the sword really bothered me, playing Toru. I think there was some failure to fit between me and the mechanics, and I did feel myself disengaging from the character as the game progressed, but I don't think either of those was centered around the sword.

darkbard

Legend
I'll chime into the conversation with this observation about our Dungeon Word game. The Quest Move and the Observe Deity's Pieties (a sort of custom subset Fate roll testing the Piety obligation of the former) are intrinsic to the identity of the Paladin, and thus to my character Alastor. The Quest Move is, by rules as written, a player fiat Move, but we altered this to put it to the test of any DW Move, the 2d6 + modifier roll.

Initially when we iterated some of those Moves, a 6- did not include gaining the benefit of the Move: the Hard Move was to deny some connection between the Deity and its Paladin or deny Alastor's ability to to enact his Deity's will in this particular phase of a Quest. This felt punishing over time (and particularly harsh considering the Move-as-fiat nature of the core design), and so I rewrote future iterations of these moves more in the "yes, and" mode of thought: the character gets their ability AND the GM makes a separate (though often directly related) Hard Move if warranted by the roll.

That have any bearing on folks' thoughts here?

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Dense, so I'm going to break it up at points and discuss my thoughts
Collection of thoughts for you (or anyone) to respond to:

* No matter the situation with local or London-wide ordinances or local law enforcement douchebaggery or corruption, it would only be a thing for the Day phase of play (the Night phase is framed directly into the action of the Threat so whatever setting emerges from our Day phase wouldn't be an input into Night phase framing). Does that mitigate your concern or not-so-much?

* There are three frames of mind on the equation of "I'm imbued with a latent curse that turns me feral/savage" + "I'm trying to escape my past/fate on the other side of the ocean amidst a group of exotic monster hunters" + "I chose Fastest Gun in the West so I have persistent advantage when it goes to guns" + "I'm an American going into the precinct, wearing my low slung holstered Colt, and asking the Constable and his Deputy about the recent murders" + "violence resolution as xp trigger" + "reveal a treasured memory from the States during an intimate moment with another character xp trigger" (these latter two potentially being at tension during any given conflict):
So, that first bullet I'm having trouble with. I reread your prior, and discovered that I did indeed have a point of contention, and that feeds into this -- the statement that the Day phase will be primarily Information moves, with Day moves as mostly followups as needed. I feel this is wrong. The Day phase is, indeed, meant to be more languid than the night phase, but I think we can look to the difference between the Day move and the Night move and see that the same situation in the Day phase that would trigger a Day move would be altogether more dangerous in the Night phase triggering the Night move. In other words, the languidness is partially baked into the moves. The other part, to me, comes not from prioritizing Information moves over Day moves in the Day phase (that's getting tedious), but rather that in the Day phase it's the Hunters that are driving action while in the Night phase the GM is directly applying pressure and causing situations. To me, this is the difference. If the Hunters, during the Day phase, are doing dangerous things (and they should be), then that should be triggering Day moves.

And, I say this because you seem to already think that the difference in move space on a 6- and 7-9 seems to be similar to that of the Day move. You were thinking to target Rattlesnake's Colt on a 6- on an Information move. I'm not sure, then, if the consequence space for a Day move and an Information move are the same, what the difference prioritizing Information moves over Day moves to increase languidness is lost on me.

Okay, that was setting the stage from the last post. I do not get this. The fiction established during the Day has no bearing on the Night? That... is not what I understand. It would seem that a consequence established would then be part of the fiction. I can see all kinds of ways that would work. I mean, the Day scene seance the other character held is a directly lead in to the Night scene framing! So, no, it is not and would not have been at all obvious to me that something established in the Day scene was going to be a Day only complication. I wouldn't have guessed that from reading the game nor from your usual approach. This is, indeed, something I would not have expected! And, I'm not sure I like it, either.
One frame of mind is:

- I selected Fastest Gun in the West so when I go to guns I expect to be reliably capable of dispatching my foes.

- I selected Fastest Gun in the West because I want the temptation of escalating to violence with the related looming Sword of Damocles that goes with having a low slung Colt holstered on my hip where everyone can see it. Its symbolic for my curse. Surrendering to it is a savage, easy thing to do...but neither my enemies nor myself will escape the wrath of my succumbing to it. Can I keep it holstered? Can I escape its power over me?

- A combination of both of the above.

Knowing you, I would expect its the last answer (a combination of both where you're at severe tension of escalating to violence vs controlling that urge and resorting to intimacy and vulnerability instead).
Yes, the last.
So two questions:

1) If it is indeed the last one, wouldn't an ordinance around the gun be just the thing to test this dichotomy of succumbing to easy, savage violence vs controlling the curse of your blood and the cold steel on your hip...and adds another layer to it (an externality that attempts to wrest your decision from you...perhaps one American might deem that as a glorious boon...another American might see that as the easy way out with)?

2) As a GM, when I see a player make a move like the above (a foreigner who just waged a violent war of insurrection within the last century) to go to a law man and attempt to make friendly and squeeze some information out of the precinct's personnel...my radar is immediately ticked toward "this person wants law enforcement to be a potential Threat or a potential Side Character and we'll figure out (a) which they are and (b) , if Threat, what that looks like (with the selection of Fastest Gun in the West and the chilling, big ass Colt on their hip being a thing)?"

Then, of course, if they don't like the result, they always have the Janus Mask (a limited use resource which will end up retiring your character if you use it enough) to fall back on.

What do you think about (1) and (2) above both as (a) the player of the character and (b) the character itself.

Finally, if (2) is a correct read, is the "misread" (of the implication in the character playbook choices + action declaration) basically "I don't want gun laws to be a potential persistent input into framing or consequences during The Day Phase of play...I just want succumbing to violence vs maintaining control and intimacy motif...your consequence of a 6- move becoming a potential, persistent input into Day scene-framing makes my PC life difficult in a way that I didn't invite (eg - mean to signal)."
So, again, here is a genre logic mismatch, I think. I don't really have any complaint about your overall structure here except that introducing an ordinance that guns cannot be openly carried is a High Tier Threat, to borrow terms. That law invokes a huge piece of the setting because we are in Victorian London, so a law passed must have some serious weight behind it. At the least, every Constable already has that hurdle to overcome if Rattlesnake is armed. It doesn't appear to be navigable from the position of a Hunter, it's deal with it level. But, it would be, because I could probably make a move to just pay a fee or get an exception or whatever. That feels somewhat mismatched, though, because part of the genre is Victorian London, and while I'm not a huge history nerd, I do know that Victorian England had a strong society and functioning government. So, to me, genre logic wise, and taking that Victorian London does have that functioning government as part of that logic (hell, an entire consequence category is interference from this), this move, to outlaw carry of firearms, seems to invoke quite a massive piece of that genre logic to me. And, so, the attendant ways to deal with it feel off. Sure, I could make a move that it's just a fee to carry and pay that on a success, making this moot, but, again, invoking such a large piece of genre just to trivialize it feels off. And the reason it feels off, I think, is because of what would happen if that move failed -- it would lock in that large piece of genre logic and make sure that dealing with any law enforcement (or civilian willing to go fetch law enforcement) while armed would immediately be a problem to overcome. This just feels incredibly weighty, and the kind of thing that needs a bit of forewarning! I mean, walking into the Constables office while armed when there is a law against it seems like something someone might have mentioned to Rattlesnake, given his description, prior to being in the Constables office. It's not like he's been subtle. So, the deployment here, in that moment, invoking that large piece of genre (London society and government) in a way that would very easily have large lasting consequences to the character or be dealt with trivially seems like it's a bit strong.

The weaker version of this -- "you can't be armed in here, surrender your sidearm to the clerk or leave!" would be 100% perfectly in line with expectations and do everything you're talking about here. Like I said before (maybe not here) it's the scope, not the concept, that I'm having trouble with.
@prabe , my guess is that your of a similar mind to @Ovinomancer on this. That my last paragraph I've written above is where you might fall if this was an output of action resolution and then a subsequent input on conflict framing? I would be curious what your better half would feel if I complicated her Day Phase life with a OMG WITCHCRAFT albatross around her neck becoming a potential persistent input into Day phase framing as the result of a 6- move (supernatural counselling or ritual or dark entity conflict - all xp triggers - + her character's Quarters, theme, and motif)?

I'm curious what others think on this. I'm particularly curious about the reality that this playbook move selected is an important part of build currency:

Is a gunslinger's weapon (selected build currency) or a Warlock's divination's (same) fair game to become potential complications during a phase of play where conflict is not inherent (but manifests as an outgrowth of action resolution or the accretion of PC moves that bring conflict/threat into the fold). Or is that generally no bueno? What if the game is agnostic about that and the premise of the game and the character isn't specifically about "how many enemies can you dispatch with your Colt and how well can you dispatch them" (or in the Warlock's case "how much good council can you receive and provide from your divinations?").

This is pretty complicated stuff and the straight-forward answer is "if the player sincerely isn't pleased by the move and doesn't feel the game is serviced by it...CONVERSATION OVER...pick a different move." But that analysis is the sort of "find the fun" analysis and I'm looking for a deeper dive.
I had another point, but I can't for the life of me recall what it was.

To your last, though, 100%. I'm curious for this discussion, and willing to walk through it, no rancor. It's already showing me a place we need to have a talk about the structure of the game, because we aren't on the same page about the difference between Day and Night -- I think you're actually soft pedaling the possibly danger level of Day and I feel there might be some future misunderstandings about what's at stake in an Information move you call for in a situation where there's Day move consequences at stake. I'd rather deal with a Day move in those situations. If you think going to the constabulary is fraught, especially since you think/thought that putting a gun ordinance in place was a good consequence and that goes straight at a character conception point, then I think you should have called for a Day move. That would signal the play is fraught, and put me on notice things are at stake and I need to overcome those things (the purpose of a Day move is to overcome an obstacle or problem so that you can do something) prior to gathering information. By calling for an Information move, that didn't indicate to me that there were consequences on the board like what was at stake, but rather testing if I could extract the information that was there. So, yeah, I think we need to have a discussion about the various moves and what they signal. I thought the worst on the table after the call for an Information move would be losing that set of constables as a source, or establishing those constables as an antagonist and source of future problems for this Threat (ie, local problem), or finding out information I didn't really want to know and that caused problems. That was the consequence space I had envisioned on the call for an Information move. I would not have expected being presented with a move that directly questions if I can deploy a playbook move in a persistent manner. That didn't seem at risk (again, genre logic was telling me open carry of firearms was fine, if uncouth).

Nephis

Adventurer
@Ovinomancer My suggestion to players there is to maybe take some point form notes about possibilities in terms of backstory, some things that could be possible, and let it come into focus as you need to deploy it in play as per the rules. It's nice to have some ideas to riff off of when you have to have a character moment and not have to construct it from whole cloth on the spot every time.
Just what I was thinking...

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Just what I was thinking...
I don't find it all that useful. I already have more structure to hang the character on than a typical 5e character. To me, a large part of the fun in these games is finding things out about my character. Having notes on all of his backstory fights against that.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I don't find it all that useful. I already have more structure to hang the character on than a typical 5e character. To me, a large part of the fun in these games is finding things out about my character. Having notes on all of his backstory fights against that.
Sure, I'm not saying you're wrong. I think this is one of those do what gives you the feels issues.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I think different games go about this in different ways, and there are pros and cons depending on one’s preference. The Between, to me, seems to be promoting the idea of not having a lot predetermined about your PC other than the basics of the chosen playbook. But I don’t think that prevents anyone from having a fully fleshed out idea for the character. It may cause some friction to do so, but I don’t see that it must.

I generally prefer to approach play with a loose idea of my character. Like a very rough sketch. And then see how play goes and what makes sense for them as play develops.

I have a Blades character, for example, who I conceived of as a danger junkie. I even named him Risk. My intention was to basically be as bold and daring as possible, without really worrying about the consequences. Just total caution to the wind type. I figured that would make for a potentially interesting dynamic among the crew.

But as the other players kind of developed their characters, that idea became less…central? Necessary? One crew member is a Cutter and took the bodyguard ability as their first ability. So that PC is constantly leaping into harm’s way to protect the others. And the third crew member took a trauma early on, and went with Reckless. So with two crew members also leaping into danger without care, it didn’t seem to me to make as much sense to focus on that as Risk’s defining quality.

So he’s still a danger junkie, but now I’ve started viewing it through the lens of what his decisions have done, what kind of life is he leading now as a scoundrel and what kind of harm does that mean for his friends and associates and himself, versus a more normal life. The other two crew members are now riddled with traumas (they each now have 3 traumas, while Risk only has 1). So he’s kind of looking at this lifestyle and seeing the impact and considering if it’s what’s best.

So total shift in thinking about the character based on how play has gone and what other participants have done. Risk still has all the qualities that I had envisioned him having when I created him, but there has been a shift in focus. There was no need to play someone who got others into trouble when the others were already running headlong into trouble themselves.

Just an example of holding onto character concept loosely that I felt would fit the thread.

Nephis

Adventurer
BUT for someone less skilled at or perhaps comfortable improvising on the fly, this gives a number of possibilities to them to choose from/expand upon. In addition, with practice, this can become internalized and/or player can be desensitized to anxiety of the above.

Personally, I’m with you on this (for the most part), but finding ways to be bring everyone to the table - and being comfortable with it - is kinda my thing. Not everyone is comfortable antics .... like jumping down wells ... repeatedly and spontaneously.... and in character! 😉

Remove ads