My DM doesn't want to use miniatures...

Von Ether

Legend
Ironically, most of my AD&D GMs always used minis. I've seen more dungeons walls built out of dominos than I care to count. The first 3.0 game I ran had no minis, people simply didn't take AoO related feats and it was assumed that if two people ganged up on a target, they automaticaly got flanking.

Melkor

Explorer
As an update, I spoke with the DM last night, and we may break out the miniatures and some Dwarven Forge stuff for some of the climactic battles....The ones that will take a whole night to finish, but that he's OK with taking a whole night for a single combat.

We'll see how this goes. I think all of us have played enough 3rd edition that it won't be difficult to use the tactics needed when the minis come out, even if we are not using them for the rest of the campaign.

Starts tonight. We'll see how it goes.

derelictjay

Explorer
When I started playing it was without minis. One of the problems we had as a group is are position in relation to things, were the wall is, who stands in the fireball, and the like, often simplifieing tactics, used by the DM and player. In the closing years of 2e D&D I made the call to go to minis, and my players embraced it (later during 3e I had a player who didn't want to use minis, but he wasn't from the old crew). One of the reasons my players loved the minis was now they could really use tactics. For example, ranged weapons become a first round use weapon often in mini-less games, why because its hard to judge positions and movement. But for the most part though, using minis didn't hurt any of the roleplaying nor did not using them (though this did sometimes encourge it).

On the other hand, one thing I have noticed about many who don't want to use minis is they want to be able to cheat, because, these people can fib as to where they're characters are standing, and often do. I've personally seen guys magically move hundreds of feet to stand at the wizards feet so they could attack him (and usually this was the DM). The person that I mentioned in a 3e game, that was the reason he wanted to go mini-less as he wasn't so tactically minded, and felt he wasn't doing a good job (I thought he was doing alright and I was the DM).

Doug McCrae

Legend
We've always played 3rd ed without miniatures. We use all the usual gubbins - AoO, 5ft steps, etc - with no real problems. It does require putting more trust in the DM, whether Mouseferatu likes it or not.

Melkor

Explorer
Steel_Wind said:
project_3.jpg

Steel_Wind -

What software are you using to create the maps ?

Are you shining them down on a battlemat (can't quite make it out in the picture) ?

Doug McCrae said:
We've always played 3rd ed without miniatures. We use all the usual gubbins - AoO, 5ft steps, etc - with no real problems. It does require putting more trust in the DM, whether Mouseferatu likes it or not.

*blink*

Of course it does. I never said otherwise. What I said (either in this thread or elsewhere, don't remember) was that I can't imagine that ever being a problem, because I can't see playing with a DM I don't trust.

Remove ads