• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My first custom monster!

Baron Opal

First Post
Minor spoilers for some Goodman Games DCCs.

I've run my second game of 4e tonight. The first was all talking and no action, and my players were itching for a fight tonight. They are currently going though Sellswords of Punjar and are trying to be clever by avoiding the front door and going through the sewers. Taking the low road, they discovered an access tunnel that had been blasted into. Investigating the room beyond, they have stumbled upon the buried cellars of a wizard's tower that was destroyed in a wizard's war ~ 30 years ago. Soon, they may find entrance to the lower levels and ultimately the Lair of the White Salamander.

On their way, they encountered the dreaded ...

Sabretooth Dire Rat

Level 4 Solo Brute (500 xp)
Initiative: +2 Senses: Perception +5, low-light vision
HP: 134 Bloodied: 67
AC: 17 Fort: 17 Ref: 15 Will: 13
Immune to filth fever
Speed: 6, Climb 3
Action Points: 1

Bite (Standard, at will) * disease
+5 vs. AC; 1d10+2 damage, and the target is exposed to filth fever.

Roar (Minor, Encounter, Recharge 5+)
Close burst 1, +5 vs. Will; push 2

Pounce (Standard, at will) * charge
+5 vs AC; 1d10+3 damage plus knockdown.

Skills: Stealth +7
Str 14, Dex 15, Wis 10, Con 18, Int 3, Cha 6

Sabertooth Dire Rat Tactics

• Drawn to noise – enters combat in next cave after 3 rounds.
• Charge and pounce on closest target.
• Spend action point to get a second bite on the prone target.
• Roar if surrounded.

Did I make this correctly? I ruled that there was a 50/50 chance that this creature would hear the PCs fighting nearby and made him with that in mind. As it was one of the party's wizards used ghost sound to create a distraction for one fight which served to attract the attention of this RUS.

Pennarin

Explorer
Roar (Minor, Encounter, Recharge 5+)
Close burst 1, +5 vs. Will; push 2
Pick either recharge or encounter.
So what is doing the pushing? If it's psychological, I suggest adding the Fear keyword. If it's sound itself, then have it inflict thunder damage in addition to the pushing and add the Thunder keyword.

Remove ads