My first Iron Heroes... er, umm... Hero!

Victim

First Post
A'koss said:
Damn, I loved chain shirts! Just the right combination of AC, unrestrictive movement, low skill penalties and allowing for a decent dex bonus. Mithril shirts were the best!
Cheers!

That's probably why it's gone. I think every character in my group but one uses the mithril chain shirt.

Kaos

First Post
A'koss said:
Damn, I loved chain shirts! Just the right combination of AC, unrestrictive movement, low skill penalties and allowing for a decent dex bonus. Mithril shirts were the best!

IOW, they were no brainers. The only time you'd take something other than a chain shirt, is if you were a) poor, or b) had no dex bonus and thus needed the heavy armour for AC.

(Plus, their mechanics stretched the SoD of quite a few people, so on that ground I don't miss them at all.)

A'koss

Explorer
Kaos said:
IOW, they were no brainers. The only time you'd take something other than a chain shirt, is if you were a) poor, or b) had no dex bonus and thus needed the heavy armour for AC.
If you think about it though, the only thing that has changed is that studded leather now takes the place of the chain shirt. And if you're not wearing studded leather, you're wearing full plate (unless you can't afford it yet).

(Plus, their mechanics stretched the SoD of quite a few people, so on that ground I don't miss them at all.)
SoD? Sorry, it's early... :p

Yuan-Ti

First Post
A'koss said:
If you think about it though, the only thing that has changed is that studded leather now takes the place of the chain shirt. And if you're not wearing studded leather, you're wearing full plate (unless you can't afford it yet).

Yeah, I think the armor needs some work. Chainmail is only slightly better than studded leather at protection but worse in terms of penalties?

Yuan-Ti

First Post
Another character... this time a Weaponmaster. Easy to hit... but boy can he dish it out!

Class: Weaponmaster
Level: 2

Str 18, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 12 (I used a 32-pt buy)

Favored Weapon BAB +2, Other Weapon BAB +2, BDB +2

Hps: 23
Defense = 10 +2 (Class BDB) +2 (Dex) = 14 (15 with Dodge)
Passive Defense = 10
DR: 1d4/magic

Saves:
Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +2

Attack = Great Sword +7 (2d6+8, 19-20x2)

Traits: Bloodthirsty (combat bonus after killing an enemy), Strong (+2 Str)
Feats: Weapon Focus Mastery 1 Great Sword (+1 attack bonus), Weapon Focus Mastery 2 Great Sword (+2 damage bonus), Dodge Mastery 1 (+1 defense bonus vs. target, dodge token pool)

Class Abilities: Primary Feat Mastery: Power, Secondary Feat Mastery: Defense, Favored Weapon: Great Sword, Weapon Style: Expert Strike

Skill Group: Athletics +9

Skills: Balance +5, Bluff +4, Handle Animal +4, Intimidate +6, Ride +3

Equipment: Scale Mail, Great Sword

A'koss

Explorer
Yuan-Ti said:
Str 18, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 12 (I used a 32-pt buy)
Aren't all IH PCs using their own special 24-pt buy?

I've been toying with a Weapon Master build myself (based on what I know...). Try this on for size. :cool:

Combine the the Mighty Build and Weapon Bond traits to allow him to use a large bastard sword (favored weapon) in one hand and tie it to a high Dex for attack & damage bonuses. You also have the benefit of having a weapon that is both finesse and power!

2d8+Dex dmg in one hand. Pick up a sturdy shield or go two-weapon at higher levels.

Studded Leather and Lg. Steel Shield. Only a -3 skill check penalty and you can still use all your Dex bonus and full speed.

Cheers!

Yuan-Ti

First Post
wizofice said:
Actually, using IH rules, you used 26-pt buy.

Ah, yes, I see... Well, the original idea was to use typical D&D point buy. But now I see, thanks to you, that IH has its own point buy system. Well, I will do one more character today and keep using the D&D 32 pt buy for that. But from now on... strictly IH stuff. :)

As for better builds... I was trying to achieve a balance between a sick character and more balanced approach. But yes, I considered Mighty Build as well as strong for this guy, which would have made his damage with that Large Great Sword... 3d6+8. Yikes! Remember, too, that if you use Exotic Weapon Proficiency, you use up one of your feat slots that might be better used on mastery feats.

A'koss

Explorer
Yuan-Ti said:
As for better builds... I was trying to achieve a balance between a sick character and more balanced approach. But yes, I considered Mighty Build as well as strong for this guy, which would have made his damage with that Large Great Sword... 3d6+8. Yikes!
Yikes indeed..

Remember, too, that if you use Exotic Weapon Proficiency, you use up one of your feat slots that might be better used on mastery feats.
Hmm... Doesn't the Weapon Bond Trait allow you to gain proficiency in any one weapon, even exotic?

Last edited:

Remove ads