• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My groups first dragon encounter/adventure.

dragonis111

First Post
Well basically my group of 4th level characters will be going up against their first dragon in pathfinder, a young black dragon, but their task isn't to kill the dragon, they are assisting an 8th level ranger who has been tracking the dragon and needed help for the final fight with it. The task of the players is to follow the ranger to the dragon's lair, and to assist in the fight while trying to stay alive. (I plan on running the dragon so it focuses more often on the more dangerous ranger)

What I need though are some good minions that are normally found in swamps and are of appropriate CR for my players to fight as the ranger NPC cares only about tracking the dragon and scouts ahead while stealthing.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking some shocker lizards in the dragon's cave, and then a few medium/small water elementals, plus either 2 giant leeches or a swarm of leeches in the swampy area leading up to the cave/lair.

Donal Graeme

First Post
Kobolds are my recommendation. They aren't really swamp creatures, but they do like caves and dark places, and they do have a strong connection to dragons. A few kobolds with class levels would make for a good challenge.

SteelDraco

First Post
A clan of swamp-dwelling ogres might be fun. Pathfinder ogres tend to be hillbilly degenerate types, that can fit well in swamps.

Lizardfolk are a very common choice for swamp encounters, though I like them better as tropical island-dwellers.

BriarMonkey

First Post
Don't forget traps... Read up on "Tucker's Kobolds".
[D&D] Tucker's Kobolds - Penny Arcade Forums

Traps, yes. Tucker's Kobolds, no. Those are nothing more than a DM fiat tool used to hammer PCs.

You can also use terrain, not just monsters, as challenges to the PCs. If I recall correctly, just moving through thick muddy swamp is akin to moving through difficult terrain. Add in natural obstacles such as rivers, sinkholes, and disease, and you have a living environment.

And don't forget about the dragon's lair. Dragon's can fly, so having differently elevated terrain, or a lair with a large chasm - and no bridge, instantly makes things much more challenging.

But, if your goal is more to keep the PCs busy while the ranger does his thing, and in keeping with swampiness, think of snakes, crocodiles, lizards, and frogs or toads. And most of those could be used with beast handlers from tribes such as lizardmen, kobolds, or even goblins.

dragonis111

First Post
I'm really liking the idea about using kobolds along with lizards, also I have designed the dragon's lair itself so that minions of the dragon have places to hide and ambush from. I am really trying to design this black dragon as a dragon that is trying to gain control of some type of race to rule over.

Rev Bolyard

First Post
But, if your goal is more to keep the PCs busy while the ranger does his thing, and in keeping with swampiness, think of snakes, crocodiles, lizards, and frogs or toads. And most of those could be used with beast handlers from tribes such as lizardmen, kobolds, or even goblins.

Very important stuff here. If you have some kobolds it's certainly possible they have some local "pets". Crocs and snakes work AMAZING... and if the party were a touch higher level, I might recommend a Dire Croc.

Also, don't overlook the special abilities a monster might possess. Using the example of the croc, have it sneak up on the party from the rear (+13 to stealth in water) and "grapple" one of the squishy casters (+11 CMB to grapple).

Last edited:

Remove ads