My Links System: The Most Powerful Feature Yet

Michael Morris

First Post
Ok, introducing a feature that some of you are going to get a kick out of - the My Links System. However, like most powerful features it requires a little learning from you to use effectively.

What this feature does is allow you to add a drop down menu to your navbar entitled "My Links" The contents of that bar are entirely up to you, but subject to a few formatting rules you need to be aware of.

First, You have to use BBCodes to construct each link. That is, use {url=http://somewhere.com}Somewhere{/url} for each link. You're also free to use the Thread and Post bbcodes for links.

You have a 3000 character limit to work with - this is enough space to add more links to the system than, frankly, you have room on the screen to display.

I'll be working on a system to display the links in a module on the news page later.

Note: If your drop down displays oddly, check your formatting. You must close all tags you open or things will display oddly. I don't think you can crash the boards for yourself, but I'm sure someone will try :p

Second Note: This feature currently only works in the Electric Blue and PHB style - it will work on the others after the server move.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Is there no way an input box can be set up so that the system makes the links itself? E.g. - type in link name, then type in link URL. Kinda like the "Add URL" in the post editor does now.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
BTW, I've searched around in PHB and Blue, but can't find any reference to this on the navbar or in the User CP. Where does one add these links?

Michael Morris

First Post
Go to My Account > Edit My Thread Viewing Options. At the very bottom of that screen you'll see "My links" and a large box to enter the url's into.

The "My Links" doesn't show up unless you put something in that box. Once it does show up it will be to the right of "My Account"

Michael Morris

First Post
Morrus said:
Is there no way an input box can be set up so that the system makes the links itself? E.g. - type in link name, then type in link URL. Kinda like the "Add URL" in the post editor does now.

That would require a fairly extensive code hack. It can be done, but not easily.

Michael Morris

First Post
This feature had a bug preventing folks from having more than 250 characters in their links definition. I've figured out how to change this, the limit is now several thousand characters - more than enough to allow you to do all the links you want.

Remove ads