• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My new favorite magic item

Yes, I'm putting this in ZEITGEIST.

Lucky Dice Ki Focus Level 13 Common
Keep these two six-sided dice in your pocket. They’re good luck.
Level 13: +3 17,000 gp. Level 23: +5 425,000gp
Level 18: +4 85,000 gp. Level 28: +6 2,125,000gp

Implement: Ki Focus.
Critical: +1d6 damage per plus.
Property: Any character capable of using an orb or wand can use these dice as an implement.
Property: When you roll these dice, they can yield any number you want.
Property: Pick one d20 you own and only ever use it for attack rolls with this ki focus. Don’t let anyone touch it but you. If it rolls badly, you’re allowed to make “cleansing” rolls to get the bad numbers out. If you violate these rules, bury the offending die and purchase a new die to replace it. This has no mechanical effect in the game, but trust me, this ki focus is lucky.

Terraism

Explorer
Those are fairly awesome, but I'd definitely peg them as a level 11/16/21/26, not 13/18/23/28. They are, for almost all intents and purposes, identical to a Magic +X ki focus - the "roll anything" is pretty nifty, but certainly no more powerful, I'd expect, than the shape-changing weapons/glamoured armors, and those are pegged at baseline magic item levels.

Also, the orb/wand wielders being able to use them is great, but maybe tack on that, like wondrous instruments for bards, these can be used as an implement by chaos sorcerers, too? Just seems fitting!

Terraism

Explorer
Bards can use wands.

And part of the point is that it's useless. Unless it really is lucky.

Sorry, I reread my post and I wasn't as clear as I should have been on the implement thing. I wasn't saying "let bards use it", I was saying "give it a specific property, like that of bardic instruments, that lets chaos sorcerers use it". Since they normally don't have either orbs or wands. Daggers and staves and lucky dice for the chaos fellows!

Remove ads