• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My new time travel RPG: TimeWatch!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The range of time travel being limited by span is an interesting one. GUMSHOE is pretty much level-free, so I'm not sure it makes sense there, but I like that sense of progression. The threat progression is also nifty, similar to 4e's adventurer, paragon and epic tiers.

Good point about the money, of course. The Preparedness skill handles that pretty smoothly. In a world where you could gain compound interest on the same bank account multiple times, money no longer becomes a major issue.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I was this close ----><---- to buying Time Master. Now I will wait for your game. Thanks for the heads-up PC!
No, get it! I wouldn't be writing TimeWatch if it weren't for my fond memories of Timemaster. My game is only 1/3rd written, so I'll be surprised if it hits production in 2013. Timemaster is fairly dated, and there are some things I really don't care for in the rules, but the ideas are great and it's a heck of a lot of fun. In fact, I think the module "Miss Him x3" by Don Bingle and Jay Tummelson may be the single greatest time travel adventure idea I've ever run across. I've run it for three game systems now (Timemaster, Time & Temp, TimeWatch) and it holds up every time.

The supplement "Time Tricks" for Timemaster is likely to make your head ache. It's pretty cool.

Janx

Hero
So how much of this timey-wimey stuff is dependant on having a GM named PirateCat?

I've never met or played with PC, but I like his style. It sounds like he is excellent at ad-libbing, which I think time travel probably requires as the PCs are very free to go anywhere/when.

Does the game help enable that trait in more inhibited GMs?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Fascinating question that playtesting will answer. If I write this correctly, very little. A combination of solid game mechanics to handle paradox and chronal instability, and good GM advice to handle problems, and good adventure hook design to give some guidance, may solve any issues nicely. I'll trust you to tell me if it doesn't.

Tortoise

First Post
No, get it! I wouldn't be writing TimeWatch if it weren't for my fond memories of Timemaster. My game is only 1/3rd written, so I'll be surprised if it hits production in 2013. Timemaster is fairly dated, and there are some things I really don't care for in the rules, but the ideas are great and it's a heck of a lot of fun. In fact, I think the module "Miss Him x3" by Don Bingle and Jay Tummelson may be the single greatest time travel adventure idea I've ever run across. I've run it for three game systems now (Timemaster, Time & Temp, TimeWatch) and it holds up every time.

The supplement "Time Tricks" for Timemaster is likely to make your head ache. It's pretty cool.

I did as you suggested, I ordered a softcover of Time Masters and downloaded a pdf of Miss Him x3.

I read the adventure last night and I can see why you think highly of it. Lots of fun and plenty of subtle twists. Although I do not have the vital ingredient which is the music from Rhino Records that is recommended in the adventure as background music. I even checked the Rhino Records site and they no longer have it available. :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Tortoise, that album is on Spotify, and it's glorious. I can probably link you to a track or two if you'd like me to.

Miss Him x3 turns out to have some organizational issues, in that you have to flip around a bit, but I've run it so that the shapeshifting aliens involved are large hyper-intelligent time-traveling cockroaches who are trying to bring about WWIII to raise the background radiation levels, thus justifying their own later mutation. That also provides for some fabulous puns.

Tortoise

First Post
Tortoise, that album is on Spotify, and it's glorious. I can probably link you to a track or two if you'd like me to.

Miss Him x3 turns out to have some organizational issues, in that you have to flip around a bit, but I've run it so that the shapeshifting aliens involved are large hyper-intelligent time-traveling cockroaches who are trying to bring about WWIII to raise the background radiation levels, thus justifying their own later mutation. That also provides for some fabulous puns.

If you wouldn't mind a link to a tune or two that would be appreciated. I don't currently have a Spotify account.

The nifty way the villains go about provoking war through changing music is a wacky-fun idea. Someone really put some thought into the connections and domino effect.

bigeshu

First Post
Loving this concept actually and wish I had time to playtest it myself. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes!

Skryme

First Post
Great ideas and writeup - I can't imagine how easy it would be for the players to go off the tracks and find yourself in a completely new adventure. You prepare for a 1920s scene and end up in 2220.. I feel like the prep work must be considerable to account for all the potential player choices.

Remove ads