• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My own RPG [WIP] - input needed

Zireael

Explorer
As there is little interest in the sister thread in the 'General RPG Discussion' area, I decided to post it here, as the ruleset had its roots in d20.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Moja mechanika - Treskri

Everything done up until now is under the link. It's in Polish, but Google Translate does it's job well:

http://translate.google.com/translat...ka-dla-treskri

English translation to come when it's finished (I don't have enough time to keep track of two language versions in development).

Main features:
- use of d6
- point buy to determine attributes
- point buy to create character (somewhat like L5R)
- lack of levels
- saving throws as in D&D
- attributes as in D&D, but replaced by the modifiers (i.e +1 to +10 scale, medium is +3)
- Stamina Points representing the character's stamina
- action points instead of the minor/move/full-round
- body parts specified for damage as an optional rule
- 'advantages' bought for XP
- XP given by the DM as he wishes
- some of the more powerful 'advantages' require ranks (a certain number of XP has to be spent earlier)
- no criticals, no random damage dice
- no spell failure
- changed armor check penalties
- advancement paths for given classes
- completely remade skill list
- use for every attribute
- non-combat advantages exist
- tweaked item and equipment prices
- every class (fighter and magic-user to use the AD&D terminology) uses the same system
- every class has access to manevuers (a bit of a cross between Tome of Battle and 4e)
- using manevuers (whether they be spells or not) requires you to be in your deity's favor
- XP price for some potentially unbalancing spells (scry, teleport etc.)

Comments and/or input needed. I'm not scared of critique - quite contrary, I need it!

Thanks in advance,
Zireael

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
If you are using an action point (AP) system, you will want to be very careful on how you handle this mechanics. Once you start letting AP creep effect the number attacks - the character becomes unbalanced.

If you are using an AP system based mechanics you might want to look at Fallout Pnp 2.0, which was roughly based on the computer game of the same name.

In addition, you might want to stick with 2d6 or 3d6 for your dice rolls, which will give you a nice bell curve. This will also enable you to pair npc/pc and monsters in encouters, since you know the average rolls of the dice.

I am not a big fan of the AD 3E, 3.5E or 4E it is just to commercialized for my taste; however, I see the benefits of the D20 system.

Empath Negative

First Post
If you are using an action point (AP) system, you will want to be very careful on how you handle this mechanics. Once you start letting AP creep effect the number attacks - the character becomes unbalanced.

If you are using an AP system based mechanics you might want to look at Fallout Pnp 2.0, which was roughly based on the computer game of the same name.

In addition, you might want to stick with 2d6 or 3d6 for your dice rolls, which will give you a nice bell curve. This will also enable you to pair npc/pc and monsters in encouters, since you know the average rolls of the dice.

I am not a big fan of the AD 3E, 3.5E or 4E it is just to commercialized for my taste; however, I see the benefits of the D20 system.

I don't think he means action points in the way we mean action points...

I think more like you have points that act as a form of currency... and that has a lot of merit to it.

Zireael

Explorer
Regarding action points: you get a number of them equal to 5 + Dex. You can use only one action that takes 5 points in a turn, even if you have 10 points. (Such an action is roughly equal to a full-round action from D&D)

Any more comments? There's a link to a GT-translated version, so you can see what it's like. There's not much text, so...

Zireael

Explorer
Removed saving throws.

Thinking on changing the abilities - I want the number to be between 5 and 8, to have ways of differentiating various characters.

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
y = target
x = multiplier for stat bonus value
z = stat bonuz value
Assume you use 2d10 a 50+/- change is 11+

I would remove saving throw, and do somwthing like (attribute/x = Z) Roll higher then target. So fi you have a dex of 15 (14/5=+2) so you have +2 bonus on DEX checks. A mild/hard DEX check might be at a target of 15; however, you have a +2 bonus, so you would need a 13+ to make a DEX saving throw.

or just add +2 to your die roll

Zireael

Explorer
Saving throws were removed.

Attributes are now: Strength, Stamina, Dexterity, Reflex, Intelligence, Willpower, Intuition and Perception (8 in total).

Skill list was reworked, so that every one of them is useful for at least one skill.

Zireael

Explorer
Thinking of splitting the Action Points into two categories - move APs and other APs.

Also, thinking of a social status system.

Remove ads