My Platform as an 2012 ENnie Judge Nominee

Ninjacowboy

First Post
People claim that they are not biased, and are, or they say they are biased but that does not affect decision making. Organizational behaviour and human resources studies have shown that time and time again, biases play a part in nearly all decisions.

One could also say that a study is not always correct when applied to everyone. They have studied a very finite number of people. Correct? Until they study everyone their information is incomplete. I may have biases in my everyday life, but when/if it comes to making a judgement about a submission, I can look at them objectively, without bias. I've done it before, I can do it again.

malach_re

First Post
Both valid arguments. (Or possible agreements) On the issue of judging I think the three of us are all on the same page. Are there any concerns that anyone else has about potential judging issues?

Ninjacowboy

First Post
There are all kinds of personal and cognitive biases. If you have a bias, and have to correct for it, then you are letting the bias influence your decision. I prefer to approach this as being unbiased and impartial as a judge.

For example, lets consider groupthink or the herd mentality. Just because the majority of the group of people I may game with prefer a d20 system, or a point based system versus a random chargen, doesn't mean I have to let it influence my critical thinking. Just because Pathfinder might be outselling DnD doesn't mean I'm going to consider one of their supplements better than any other supplements other publishers release. That would be a bias. I'm going to look at submissions with an open mind.

I guess each judge will approach this differently. I have my ideas, and criteria. I have given this much thought, and bias will not play a part in my decisions. I do not have to make adjustments or corrections because of them.

jbazin

First Post
One could also say that a study is not always correct when applied to everyone. They have studied a very finite number of people. Correct? Until they study everyone their information is incomplete. I may have biases in my everyday life, but when/if it comes to making a judgement about a submission, I can look at them objectively, without bias. I've done it before, I can do it again.

That's what a statistically significant sample was utilized - to ensure the results could be applied broadly.

With that said, it's clear that our opinions on this vary widely. I feel that the identification of biases and making adjustments for them in the final results is extremely important, you feel that you can look at something without bias.

I guess that's a point of differentiation between us in terms of what people want in a judge.

Remove ads