• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My playtest of new Mage (Essentials) spells

Stalker0

Legend
I would hope phantom cage deals +5 damage per square of movement, else the power is pretty weak to me.

+5 damage isn't going to stop anything from moving imo, but +20 might.

Colmarr

First Post
So yes, Phantom Cage damages the target even if the target is forced to move.

Nice catch.

Not sure it strictly speaking solves the "if" vs "when" distinction I drew earlier in the thread, but I'm willing to believe that if it was meant to be "if" they would have said something like "the next time the enemy moves before the end of your next turn".

Edit: Guess someone beat me to it.

Last edited:

Caragaran

First Post
Regarding Phantom Cage I am sure the intention is for one set of 5 damage if it moves. The whole stacking movement damage was a major problem with the bloodmage paragon path and they nerfed that to voluntary movement for 5 per movement point used. It used to say per square (and d6) so rule lawyers would cast it on a larger monster then slid it diagonally for a lot of damage (the d6 would get implement bonus etc) there are combos for this slide plus damage out there.

The language indicates it is once, if it was everytime he moved it would say that but then it could interpreted to be 5 damge for evey movement so 5 damage from a slide 3, 5 from a push 1 then 5 from charging the mage who cast it. it most definately isnt 5 damage for each square.

alastersan

Explorer
Anyone can tell me please, how is the Mage (Evoker) Epic destiny?

i am near 21 and my DM asked for my epic destiny for role-playing reasons, for now i want to be Paneshaper but if the new epic destiny is good may be i will take it. i'm waiting for my book at amazon uk, but i think, with luck i will have it the 10 days.

Thank you in advance

Marshall

First Post
Anyone can tell me please, how is the Mage (Evoker) Epic destiny?

i am near 21 and my DM asked for my epic destiny for role-playing reasons, for now i want to be Planeshaper but if the new epic destiny is good may be i will take it. i'm waiting for my book at amazon uk, but i think, with luck i will have it the 10 days.

Thank you in advance

Its a slightly different version of Demigod/Chosen. Unless you think you'll hit 24 before you get the book just use that.

alastersan

Explorer
The problem is that i have to choose one ED and i am not sure witch one i like more, i don't like too much the demingod. Have the mage ED something cool, any use for CON?, i suppose it gives +2 INT, +2 CON (evoker)?

Can anyone post at least resumed features please?

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
The problem is that i have to choose one ED and i am not sure witch one i like more, i don't like too much the demingod. Have the mage ED something cool, any use for CON?, i suppose it gives +2 INT, +2 CON (evoker)?

Can anyone post at least resumed features please?

There isn't a 'mage' Epic Destiny in Heroes of the Fallen Lands; there's one Epic Destiny provided for all of the classes.

Indomitable Champion's features are
21: Epic Heroism - bonus to two ability scores
24: Epic Resilience - bonus hit points, bonus to all defenses
26: Epic Tenacity (power) - daily/recover if below 0 HP
30: Unmatched Defenses (power) - daily/treat an attack as a natural 1

alastersan

Explorer
There isn't a 'mage' Epic Destiny in Heroes of the Fallen Lands; there's one Epic Destiny provided for all of the classes.

Indomitable Champion's features are
21: Epic Heroism - bonus to two ability scores
24: Epic Resilience - bonus hit points, bonus to all defenses
26: Epic Tenacity (power) - daily/recover if below 0 HP
30: Unmatched Defenses (power) - daily/treat an attack as a natural 1

Ty very much.

Obryn

Hero
Holy crap.

Beguiling Strands destroyed an entire field full of minions tonight.

Additionally, because the character is an Enchanter with Orb Expertise, it shoved all my other monsters back 6 squares.

I was skeptical about its power relative to Thunderwave, but now I am sold. It's an insanely good At-Will.

-O

Aegeri

First Post
It's damage is a secondary concern for that power, what it does is battlefield rearrangement (and IIRC is ally friendly) and it does it exceptionally well. It's a fantastic controller at-will.

Remove ads