• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My poor dwarf death priest

I am the DM... btw: they were there in 2nd edition before, and it was dex to attack, strenght to damage back then... but i guess, this is against design principles of 4e...

WalterKovacs

First Post
I am the DM... btw: they were there in 2nd edition before, and it was dex to attack, strenght to damage back then... but i guess, this is against design principles of 4e...

A Dex to hit, Str to damage bow wouldn't really be better than the Dex/Dex bows we have now ... if Str was better, it would mean having something less accurate than tha heavy thrown weapon (and there is always the option of going warlord to have an entirely str based bow).

Before it was good because bows didn't do ability modifier damage otherwise and there were other ability modifier mixes (Weapon finesse still used STR for damage, as did thrown weapons that used dex to hit but str mod for damage)

4e in general tried to move away from that kind of MADness (Although the current version of Melee Traning sort of harkens back to the old weapon finesse, although mostly because of interaction with stuff like the slayer. so he can't double dip with maxing Dex.)

Still, a superior ammunition weapon that has the equivalent of heavy thrown wouldn't be too much out there. It would be trading the ease of use of heavy thrown weapons (if your main weapon is axe/hammer/spear, and you have martial weapons, you can have it match your expertise and similar weapon feats for your main weapon and don't need to spend extra feats on it) by spending an extra feat, needing to change weapons (and say goodbye to having a shield) you get some extra distance and maybe a slightly better weapon die, and it's easier to make multiple attacks ... but that becomes trivial once you get a magic thrown weapon, or carry a few (although that does require using a minor or getting quick draw or similar effect).

It woul be nice to have an equivalent to melee training for ranged basics, but utimately OAs and charges are important enough that people would want to use those in addition to their at-will powers, while ranged basic is mostly restricted to leader based stuff that grants them.

Azlith

First Post
Items
Fey Strike Weapon - Encounter, ranged 20: melee basic at range
Daily: teleport target 10 squares, adjacent to you
Giant Kind Gloves - throw rocks at-will
Battlestrider Greaves - +1 speed in heavy armor

Feat
Quick Steps - +1 speed for dwarves

Remove ads