D&D 5E My powergamer players wants to be a bard.

Sacrosanct

Legend
It certainly isn't cheating to try to make a powerful character. I think it is exploitation to try to look for loopholes intentionally. And to be honest, I don't think exploiting is any better than cheating, FWIW.

YMMV of course.

*edit* Elf witch beat me to it.

rollcrit

First Post
ok guys, lets not take my reply out of context here. i 100% do not think power playing is cheating. this thread has gotten a little de-railed. I really regret using the term cheating. I really should have used different wordding.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Oh look, trying not to be brutally murdered and eaten by horrible monsters is now cheating.

Not sure how you interpreted this:

"That is funny, I have a similar "always looking for loophole" players. This player is one of my better friends, so I just usually let her go about her shenanigans. It is so strange people try to cheat at D&D. Its such a non competitive game."

to mean the same as anyone who tries "not to be brutally murdered and eaten by horrible monsters." I don't think I've met a single player who didn't try to avoid being killed and eaten, and the overwhelming number of them also didn't look for loopholes to game the system.

I guess I'm saying I can't see the correlation between what he/she said, and what you said.

Sacrosanct

Legend
ok guys, lets not take my reply out of context here. i 100% do not think power playing is cheating. this thread has gotten a little de-railed. I really regret using the term cheating. I really should have used different wordding.

Nah, you're good. You clarified your position and it makes perfect sense. I don't think you meant to call all optimizers cheaters.

Grimstaff

Explorer

Lol don't apologize - exploiting loopholes IS cheating - just because the atm "accidentally" gave you an extra $20 doesn't mean keeping it isn't theft.

A little metagaming is natural, but too much is really breaking the social contract at the table. Personally I avoid the type of player that is always looking to find that perfect way to stack the deck and "break the game" - its insulting to the other players and the dm. If a player's willing to push things to give themselves an unfair advantage over the other players and/or adventure, my advice is this: even the most optimized character is not going to be able to withstand one or more of these things: a pit filled with carrion crawlers, a pack of shadows, or a dome-shaped wall of force filled with cloudkill.

Hey, that's all in the rules, so perfectly fair right? :] :angel::]

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
I really like that bards are a "power" class now, because IMHO it actually goes quite well with how the class can be roleplayed: they're a jack of all trades, always looking for a trick or shortcut that keeps them a step ahead of the competition.

Like, a cleric learns Contagion because his god wants him to spread disease or something. A bard learns it because he heard it's really effective in taking down powerful enemies quickly.

Remove ads