• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E My powergamer players wants to be a bard.

Elf Witch

First Post
Can someone please tell me what pun pun is?

Utilizing loopholes imo is a form of breaking the game. Is it cheating well technically no but it is also not always in the best interest of the game.

Come on loopholes are used to get around the rules. Like what happens when a guilty as sin criminal gets to walk because of a loophole in the law.

There is nothing wrong with liking cool competent PCs but when a PC is built that has no weakness and can't ever fail at anything then for some of us that PC has sucked all the fun out of the game for everyone else. As a DM I dislike it because to challenge them you have to up the CR which them makes it to hard on the other PCs. As a player I dislike it because an over powered PCs is better than everyone else at everything. There is something broken when a PC with say two levels in wizard is better at being a wizard then someone who is a straight wizard. And that goes for any class.

I am all for customizing characters.

I know some groups thrive on powergaming and that they have fun and so none of this is an issue. But it becomes an issue when the DM and the some of the other players don't want play Superman.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Pun pun was a 3.5e character that used a bunch of splatbooks and questionable rules to make himself a god with infinite power at like level 2. It was an example of how unbalanced the system could be if the DM allowed anything.

... I don't quite understand people hesitating to ban spells. Everyone seems to be OK with banning classes and races but not magic itself. I just.. I don't think I'll ever know the reason for that. Back to the original point, I would also explain to the person in question that he can accept my changes or he can find another group, simple as that.

I'd even ban selected Battle Master maneuvers if I didn't think they worked for my intended campaign playstyle. (Fortunately, as it turns out they didn't do anything with them that really bugged me, so I didn't need to.)

That is an interesting observation though. I hadn't thought of it, but it is as you said much less common for anyone to straight up ban a spell on the list.

Paraxis

Explorer
I'd even ban selected Battle Master maneuvers if I didn't think they worked for my intended campaign playstyle. (Fortunately, as it turns out they didn't do anything with them that really bugged me, so I didn't need to.)

That is an interesting observation though. I hadn't thought of it, but it is as you said much less common for anyone to straight up ban a spell on the list.

I think there are plenty of games that limit magic.

Top 3 most often limited or banned spells IMO.
  1. Raise Dead and other bring back the dead spells
  2. Teleport and other quick long distance travel spells
  3. Scry

WarHawke

First Post
What is wrong with YOU people?

You theorycraft and are complaining about a class and race combination and calling it overpowered? All of the classes have their "overpowered" moments.

Have you guys even seen the Cleric? That class is obviously broken. Well not really, but they have some of the buffs/debuffs as the bard. Wizard is nuts later in the game.

Magical Secrets? Overpowered? LOL! I dont have the book in front of me... but at level 10 you get two spells up to your spell level that count towards you spells known.

If you go with the first bard college (forgot the name) you get 2 spells when you are level 6 up to your current spell casting level that do not count towards your spells known.

None of this sounds overpowering. But you are able to specialize into whatever you want to become moreso than other classes. In my opinion at least.

And starting as a half elf bard? The most you are going to get with your stats at character creation is a 17 CHA... that is still +3. You get to +4 when you get to level 4. Which is still on par with every other character out there.

Humans are more OP. Free feat? +5 to initiative, never surprised. and there are other feats out there that are well worth taking.

Now the most obvious advantage at level 18 ? is that you can get the Wish spell, which in turn gives you access to all level 8 and below spells without worrying about losing the spell forever. Then you have wizard level shenanigans going on.

TLDR- the class is just as balanced as the others, you can just specialize it a little more into what you want your role to be than the other classes.

sithramir

First Post
Here's the superb grappling guide, incidentally, if that turns out to be the path your player has planned.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/player-help/threads/4142801

It occured to me last night with my bard that a strength bard using Hex would be pretty insane. He can take the magic initiate feat to gain hex and it gives disadvantage on str checks. His high str with for grappling with expertise makes him pretty hard to beat grappling wise.

Powerful but I still wouldn't say broken. But that's something. Or he could get hex using 6th or 10th level magical secrets depending on path he takes.

Just one pretty cool option I saw. I was going to use Hex just for fighting with my sword as a bit of a damage bonus (i'm finesse) but realized it's pretty nice for grappling

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
The Lore Bard Grappler is insane. And hilarious. I always think Luchador, when I hear 'grappler', but in 5e it is more of an old school Mom grabbing an ear and pulling a misbehaving child around.

Remove ads