My Star Trek game quest continues: MAPS!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And zomming in on Sol and surrounding sectors

Attachments

• sol.png
    sol.png
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 1,679

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
In which I annotate the star map, noting important locations or events.

Attachments

• starmap_annotated.jpg
    starmap_annotated.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,119

Stormonu

Legend
Morrus, have you looked at FASA's The Federation supplement? It has a map of the federation (in black and white). If I've still got my copy, I'd be willing to send it to you - it's not like I'm using it...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Morrus, have you looked at FASA's The Federation supplement? It has a map of the federation (in black and white). If I've still got my copy, I'd be willing to send it to you - it's not like I'm using it...

I have it; thanks! It's interesting that it's map of the Federation is *very* different to most other maps. It's a struggle deciding which maps to use, but I settled in the end on the above one as being most similar to several maps, and fairly complete and clear. I am, however, going to rip The Triangle right out of the FASA stuff and place it in the above map (the area only exists in FASA material, but I think it's a great campaign location). That basically means that the Khitomer stuff in STVI takes place in The Triangle.

FASA roughly agrees with most sources on the locations of the Klingon and Romulan Empires. It puts Tholian and Gorn space in completely different places, though.

I'm now playing with travel times and speeds. So Alpha Centauri is 4 light years away. Vulcan is 16 light years. That makes each hex 4 light years, not 2 as I originally guessed.

The original series warp speeds were cubed factors of light speed (warp 1 is c, warp 2 is 8c, warp 3 is 27c, and so on). So you can see why the Enterprise needed a 5-yr mission to do much by way of exploring!

Last edited:

Nagol

Unimportant
What I did a few years ago was grab the HYG dataset and wrote a small app to display the stars and calculate distances between any two objects. It was for a unique SF universe though. Less useful in a defined universe since you have to figure out where the named stars / empires are.

See if you can find the map from Federation and Empire board game. From what I recall, it provided the map as you's like -- though each hex was 3,000 LY across (so the galaxy was only a single hex thick in the covered area).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, so here's my attempt to insert The Triangle into the more canon map. It's oriented at 90 degrees to the regular map (so turn it 90 degrees left to "fit" it in).

I took the black/white pencil map from the FASA books and inverted it. I added Nimbus III (Star Trek V - Paradise City) into the region, since I found a couple of references placing it there. I then added a couple of surrounding planets/nebula from the main map for orientation purposes, and pointed at major areas off-map with big arrows. Finally, I made all the stars into coloured circles rather than white dots. It's not great, but it does the trick.

I'd rather it was hexes like the others, but I had no easy way to remove the existing square grid.

Attachments

• triangle_bw.png
    triangle_bw.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 6,992

ScottBargelt

First Post
I always got by with the old FASA maps, but of course they didn't include anything from TNG on. I was playing pre-TNG, though, so that was never really a factor.

I really like what you've done with the maps, Morrus, especially adding in the Triangle--you're right, it always was the best setting from the Fasa stuff.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've noticed a fairly major problem with the scale of the Triangle map. If 1 square is 1 parsec, as it claims, The Triangle is pretty much the same size as the entire Federation. Bad FASA!

Anyway, on the BIG map, 1 hex=1 parsec (3.26 light years) seems to be pretty much dead on. Using the old TOS warp speed system (warp cubed = multiplier of c, can exceed 10), I've created a travel handout for players. This makes it easy to determine how long it will take to travel on the map at various warp speeds.

Attachments

• travel.pdf
    63 KB · Views: 327

Remove ads