My thoughts of Roles - from Races and Classes

Satori

First Post
I LOVE that they're calling "Enablers/Support" LEADERS.

I LOVE that a "Bard Like" class is called a "Warlord".

I LOVE that the Cleric is labeled a "Leader Class".

Finally, you'll have people who actively choose to play an "Enabler" class if ONLY because the image is different now.

Sweetness.

Szatany

First Post
Elphilm said:
Furthermore, I believe the Leader role is named thus to remove the negative connotations of 'support' from the Leader classes. Perhaps it is an unnecessary distinction, perhaps not.

How about coordinator then?

Raven Crowking

First Post
WotC_Miko said:
Untrue. As has been stated multiple times, the bard still exists and will appear as a distinct class.

Thanks for the response. I have to admit that I've pretty much stopped keeping up with all of the announcements. When I read the "How Adventures Have Changed" thread, the Warlord was described in ways that made me think Hey! That's a bard! I accept the correction, though (and the aforementioned thread was just snarky guesses, anyway).

From what I've read, though, the Warlord does seem very bard-like, and you are going to have your hands full making a bard that doesn't step on the Warlord's schtick. :lol:

RC

The Ubbergeek

First Post
I disagree.

Not every players want to steal the spotlight. Somes, like me, love to be a support. A member of the team, maybe not the key one, but a fellow who bring something ot the party. Who help for victory.

And so, I want also to be able to do this.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I find the amount of concern over the role names to be pretty amusing. They are just words used to convey what the designers think the class is best suited for.

My prediction is that I will almost never use these words in a game with the possible exception of when a new character class is introduced.

I will also predict that, unless 4e is intentionally designed to constrain player choice, many players will do things to break the "role" of their PCs and fit them to their own vision of their characters, regardless of what the designers intended.

Remove ads