• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My version of Immortal rules

nonsi256

Explorer
Hi all.

This post is not meant for stealing credit from the other versions presented here and in GiantInThePlayground in the last few days.
In fact, it’s quite obvious that my version is heavily based upon them.

There were several reasons why I bothered working out my own version:

- I found the rules to be spread out all over the document in a manner that made it hard for me to figure them out (I blame no one but myself for this), so I started by summing them up for myself.
- I found basing things on skill checks to be cumbersome. I also don’t remember an Immortal ever failing to use one of his schticks, so I find no justification for this mechanics. Furthermore, AFAIK, it is unprecedented for feast to depend upon a successful skill check.
- Given there is no Immortality level-distinction other than the accumulation of Quickening, I wanted to make a clear separation between Quickening powers and level-based abilities and make them not mimic spells effects, class features, metamagic, feats in general or anything else that can be obtained/applied via other means – other than what’s necessary to stay true to the storyline. I tried to encompass everything, but hey, I’m only human, so if I forgot something, I’d be most thankful if someone points it out.

Attachments

• Highlander-Style Immortals.doc
    72 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Cool

Cool, I am glad you were able to use the rules in a way that fit your needs. Very cool.
Yea, the old lay out was hard to follow. I think the new lay out works better.
The old rules worked well, the reason I went with the new ones (which are based on the SAGA rules, somewhat), is because of Hero Lab. I wanted to make a data set to help with character generation. And I just could not get the old Quickening points to work in the software. So I had to go with something new.
But, I have upload all the old rules, (even 2nd Edition material) to the website along with the new pdf with all new art. I am glad you are able to use some of the material.

Kev
highlanderd20 : Highlander D20

nonsi256

Explorer
I also forgot to say thanks.
I've been trying for a very long time to come up with Highlander-themed rules, but all my efforts were in vain. I just couldn't get the mechanics to make sense.

For the final touce, I have 2 last issues to finalize this section, that will be incorporated in my house-rules codex:
1. Immortals & resurrection
2. Rewriting Quickening powers so that Immortals wold remain LA +2 throughout their career.

The added rules are as follows:

Immortality, Beheading & Resurrection:
Upon losing his head, an Immortal truly dies. However, like every other living being on the material prime, an Immortal may also be revived.
When an Immortal is raised from the dead, since he’s lost all of his Quickening, he’s brought back as a mortal. Only when he dies a violent death once more does he regain his Immortal status, but he starts all over again, having no more Quickening than his true age would provide, but years past during his previous immortality are counted.

The powers of Quickening

Beyond sensing one another and dying a spectacular death, there are things in which investment of temporary Quickening points (TQP) can significantly aid an Immortal.

- Conceal item: By spending 1 TQP, an Immortal can apply Greater Invisibility effect to a single carried melee weapon of “Small” size (or an item of more or less the same size), provided the weapon is carried on his person and not held in hand. 2 TQPs would affect a medium weapon and 3 would affect large weapons. This power cannot be used to conceal Polearms.

- Empathic Link: For 3 TQPs, an Immortal can silently and motionlessly invoke an effect identical to Detect Thoughts spell.

- Focused Effort: An Immortal can, as a free action, invest 1 or more TQP to augment (+1 per TQP) any die-roll based check (attack/save/skill/level etc).

- Null Presence: The Immortal can drain all his TQPs as a free action and become undetected by other Immortals. This does not hinder his ability to detect others, though.
He may also suppress his TQP recovery as a silent act of will.
- Quickening Air: Each TQP spent as a free action allows an Immortal to go about without air for 10min.

- Quickening Heal:
As a move action that provokes AoOs, the Immortal may heal [1d8+1] HP per TQP spent. He may spend any amount of TQP as he sees fit in a single move action.

- Quickening Vitality:
The Immortal can raise any of his physical ability scores, +1 per TQP, for 1min +1min/TQP, to a maxim equal to his Wis-mod.

- Touch the Untouchable: By investing 5 TQPs, an Immortal can, as a move action that doesn’t provoke AoOs, imbue a single weapon with the Ghost Touch property for 1d6+6 rounds.

Temporary Quickening points are replenished at a rate of 1 per 6 hours while awake and 1 per hour while sleeping.

Discovering Quickening powers:
Very few Immortals know all Quickening powers.
The maximum amount of TQPs an Immortal can put into the activation of a Quickening power is capped by 1/2 his HD (rounded up). This means that some powers are beyond the majority of Immortals and that other powers cannot be utilized to the fullest.
An Immortal begins his Immortal career knowing a single Quickening power that can be activated with but 1 TQP.
If a situation arises where another power is critically needed for his survival, there’s a 1% chance for the Immortal to invoke it out of pure instinct.
One Immortal can teach another Quickening abilities, but such a thing should require months at least.

nonsi256

Explorer
Okay, I give up.
This yahoo account interface is very user-unfriendly.
I've been trying fo more than 20min to subscribe to "highlanderd20" and keep going around in circles.
For some reason I get the feeling yahoo really don't want my subscription.

nonsi256

Explorer
sorry idk, I'll post the pdf here. Thanks again!

Okay, I downloaded the document and I’ve noticed several things that irk the eye.

1. Skills & feats are no longer gained via increased Quickening pool.
2. “Immortality, beheading & resurrection” should go under “Becoming an Immortal”, where the general Immortal traits are detailed.
3. "The Powers of Quickening" section requires an update. the "Discovering Quickening powers" note is missing.

Plus, there’s a missing quote under “Dark Quickening” headline that I've left out:
====================================================
“What are you hoping for MacLeod, guilty conscience, remorse? God, no more weaknesses – no more Mr. nice guy... Let me tell you about strength: strength is evil.”
- James Coltec
====================================================

To keep Immortals at LA +2 throughout their career (dozens of feats and skill points cannot ampount to ZERO impact on LA, so they'd have to go) and to truly reflect my vision of what Immortality rules should look like, the above changes/additions are required.

If the above changes are applied, then the following quote (from the document):
“This should change according to the size of one‟s Quickening pool, but I‟m not sure by how much.”
has no more relevance, given the LA issue is sorted out.

My email, btw, is: nonsi256@gmail.com

Waiting to get signed in......

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads