• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Very Own Demi Plane!!!!

Kaji

First Post
The madness that is my high level UberMage wants to create his own demiplane to use as his sanctuary. Anyone already done this and have ideas to share, problems encountered, and so on? Some quick details on my maniac:

Evil as the day is long (LE)
Forgotten Realms
Has a small army of vampire mages all enslaved by his vampire cohort
All of the clergy of Mystra wants me to die...painfully. :p
17th level mage, enchanter incantatrix, archmage (I know, I know...)
Race: Corrupted Aasimar (HR special) with Shade Template (Yes, I know..)

Jarval

Explorer
There's the Genesis power from the Psionic's Handbook. You could adapt this into a spell. Another possiblity is a carefully worded wish.

Genesis
Metacreativity (Int)
Level: Psion 9
Display: Ma
Manifestation Time: 1 week (8 hours/day)
Range: 10-ft. radius/level (see text)
Effect: See text
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Power Resistance: No
Power Points: 17
The manifester creates a finite plane with limited access: a demiplane. Demiplanes created by this power are very small, very minor planes.
This power should be manifested only while the manifester is on the Ethereal or Astral Plane.
At first, the fledgling plane grows at a rate of 1 foot in radius per day to an initial maximum radius of 10 feet per manifester level. Once the new demiplane reaches its maximum size, it doesn’t really stop growing, but its growth rate decreases dramatically to only 1/2 inch in radius per week (just over 2 feet per year).
The environment within the demiplane is determined by the manifester when genesis is first manifested, reflecting most any desire the psion can visualize, as long as the DM approves (although no environmental effect within the plane can duplicate effects greater than those of 3rd-level powers). Factors such as solid ground, air, water, and temperature must be determined by the manifester. This power cannot create life, nor can it create construction; such particulars must be introduced to the demiplane in some other fashion. All demiplanes created with genesis are in contact with the Astral and Ethereal Planes.

If you send me $12, you may have your very own demiplane named after you ( or anyone you choose ). Comes complete with certificate suitable for framing.

--
I don't recall anything in the ELH like that... I just looked through my copy of Spellbound, and didn't find much relevant either.

The Genesis spell is a great starting point. It should probably be very costly in material components. Perhaps the Demiplane could be expanded by repeating the spell with an ever increasing cost...

Janos Audron

Explorer
In MotP is a PrC which gains a demiplane at 10th level...though I thought it was very similar to the Genisis spell (which, btw, is also a Cle 9 spell (with a 5k XP component :eek:) in DotF, iirc).

Kaji

First Post
Janos Audron said:
In MotP is a PrC which gains a demiplane at 10th level...though I thought it was very similar to the Genisis spell (which, btw, is also a Cle 9 spell (with a 5k XP component :eek:) in DotF, iirc).

I saw the Genesis power in Psionics handbook, and my DM has already agreed that we can convert it if needed. I'll have to check out DoTF, did not think to look there for a spell to create planes...

I need to clarify the help I wanted: I figure we xan come up for the mechanism to create the plane, it's the details of what the plane should be like that I was looking for. It seems I can control the character, and I am looking at making rhe plane sentient (sp?) and making it evil/negative energy. I might just buy a ring of Negative Energy Protection to protect myself, that kind of thing? Thoughts?

Kaji said:
...I am looking at making rhe plane sentient (sp?) and making it evil/negative energy. I might just buy a ring of Negative Energy Protection to protect myself, that kind of thing? Thoughts?

OK, now I think I just heard my munchkin alarm go off - -

Why would you like the Plane to have sentience? Creating life is something you cannot do. But perhaps you could find a way to bind powerful sentient item into the essence of your plane. But what for? So you can have someone to talk to while you are there?

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
The spell version of Genesis is in Deities & Demigods. It was originally a 9th-level metacreative psionic power in the Psionics Handbook, available to psions. The spell version is more or less the same, a 9th-level cleric spell in Defenders Of The Faith, and a 9th-level Creation domain spell in Deities & Demigods, with one or two minor changes (i.e. I think the spell version couldn't be used for an antigenesis, sadly). Manual Of The Planes included a power similar to Genesis for the Plane Shifter prestige class, gained at 10th-level in the prestige class if I recall. The psionic version is best however, especially since psions can learn the True Creation 8th-level metacreative power, which creates permanent objects of nearly any material, allowing a psion to mentally create their own structures and whatnot in their personal demiplane.

As for suggestions.... I'd suggest you Planeshift or otherwise transport creatures to the demiplane, potent monsters your evil maniac can snatch from around the Prime Material, to populate your demiplane with unwitting defenses against lesser invaders. Most likely, take creatures that can't fly, travel extraplanar, or burrow through metal. Since Genesis allows you to determine the geography and composition of your demiplane to an extent, create your abode within a custom, gigantic valley that is ringed with thick metal deposits all around the edges, to keep critters from burrowing into your estate, and make your buildings with metal or something (heck, you could probably shape the geography to create hollow, metal mounds wherever you wish, and do just a little real work to make them into mighty fortresses!). Just note that with Genesis, you have to designate any geographical features or patterns at the time you cast/manifest/activate the Genesis. So write up a good, detailed description of what ya want, and your evil overlord can stand atop his mountain-fortress of solid mithral and laugh maniacally in his invincibility! :D

Anyway, btw, according to Genesis and the Plane Shifter's limits with their Demiplane Seed ability, I don't think you can grant your plane particular energy traits, time traits, sentience, or other wierd stuff..... In any case, the Genesis power description says specifically that the environment is determined at manifestation time by the psion, as long as it is approved by the DM, and no environmental effects can exceed the potency of a 3rd-level spell/power. It also says specifically that Genesis cannot create life nor construction (though what I mentioned above was merely hollow mountains and such of mithral, hehe, not actual buildings; you'd still have to somehow shape or carve parts). The demiplane will be linked to the Astral and Ethereal Planes (via a color pool and an ethereal curtain, respectively).

The Genesis spell in Deities & Demigods supercedes the one in Defenders Of The Faith, but differs from the psionic power too......you'll have to check it out yourself. It's less specific on some points.... Naturally, all of this is up to your DM's adjudication and judgement.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
You really don't want a sentient Demi plane. Sure it starts out great, but before you know it the plane will be getting plastic surgery and a boob job, and dating Ashton Kutcher.

Remove ads