• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My World's Halflings: Please Comment!

Bayonet_Chris

First Post
Gypsy halflings

That's not really much of a stretch. It seems like a sound idea. I would probably do something like this if I didn't loathe halflings. heh.

Joël of the FoS

First Post
Interesting stuff, indeed. If you want to enrich this idea, the Ravenloft vistani is indeed a good source. Try to find the Van Richten's Guide to the Vistani (2e, but mostly flavor text).

Joël

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Raven Crowking said:
Procure Tobacco: Once per week, when you are alone, you can procure 1d6 pounds of tobacco. You can explain how this is done to another (giving him this same ability), but if you do so, you are struck by an eldritch attack 1d6 days later, causing you 2d6 permanent points of ability drain to all your ability scores and giving you 2d6 points of Madness. This eldrich attack can even reach into an antimagic field, or dead magic region, where supernatural effects normally cannot occur.

Ok. Since it's drain, restoration will work to restore it. Otherwise you'd say "lose." The default for drain is permanent, btw; you'd don't have to specify it. Ability drain doesn't heal naturally, but only by magic.

I'm not familiar with the mechanics for curing Madness; is this from a supplement? Could you fill in the basics of how madness works?

I personally would just delay the eldritch attack by the amount of time spent in an antimagic field. Allowing it to trump antimagic violates the norms for supernatural abilities, and smacks of the DM being heavy handed. And its not as if you get off scot free; if you spend all your time in an antimagic field, you obviously can't procure tobacco.

How long does it take to use the procure tobacco ability anyways i.e. how long do you have to be alone for? What happens if someone is scrying you at the time, or otherwise spying on you?

I really like the flavor. Clearly, it draws on either the Vistani, or the same inspiration the Vistani draw on. Seems hard to tell the stories of Europe without the Romany.

Silmarillius

First Post
Raven Crowking said:
Using this ability requires mere seconds. If you are being watched (even by scrying), the ability fails to work.

Does this just include intelligent characters and creatures, because plants have feelings too.

Remove ads