Mystara Collector's Guide

havard

Adventurer
Excellent work!

Some more magazine articles that could be included:

Dragon # 315 Hollow World, Red Steel, Blackmoor and Cynidicea
Dragon # 318 Children of Ka (Hollow World article)
Dragon # 323 Ecology of the Choker.
Dragon # 325 Winning Races: Lupins. Bringing Lupins into 3.5E.
Dragon # 327 Winning Races: Diaboli. Bringing Diaboli into 3.5E.
Dragon # 339 Dusanu, Nagpa and Phanaton.
Dragon # 343 Nuckalavee and Malfera.

Dungeon #114 Torrents of Dread
Dungeon #142 Cynicidea
Dungeon #144 Bargle the Infamous
Dungeon #150 Kill Bargle

I have a list of more 3E/4E era products which have relevance for Mystara here, but I guess I can't claim them to be actual Mystara products.

-Havard

rogueattorney

Adventurer
This is confusing stuff and emblematic of how poorly TSR marketed the D&D line in the early and mid-'90s, so please bear with me...

The Thunder Rift line is NOT the Challenger Series. The "Challenger Series" was the name given to the continuing line of Rules Cyclopedia support. The Thunder Rift line was the Beginners Series, which was the new series to support the Black Box Basic set.

Part way into the production of the "Beginner Series" products, TSR realized that it didn't mesh well with the Known World (as it was still known then) and began to publish the Thunder Rift products. Thus, the first couple Beginner Series products were set in Karameikos. Then the Dragon's Den boxed set is set in a thinly disguised Karameikos. And everything else went into Thunder Rift.

You can tell "Beginner Series" products by the shield in the lower right or left hand corner of the cover. The emblem on the shield shows whether it's an adventure, supplement, or play aid.

See DD4 The Dymrak Dread as an example.

You can tell the "Challenger Series" products by the blue banner with the words "Challenger Series" behind the ampersand in the D&D logo.

See PC4 Night Howlers as an example.

The Beginner/Challenger split only lasted about 18 months before both series were canceled and TSR stopped supporting the D&D line, with Mystara being ported over as a 2e setting.

samursus

Explorer
Fair enough -- Stronghold has been added to the list :)

:eek: Well... I guess the memory isn't as good as it used to be. After finding a copy of the game manual, I have discovered there is NO setting information in it. So, your original supposition was correct, again... my bad. :)

havard

Adventurer
:eek: Well... I guess the memory isn't as good as it used to be. After finding a copy of the game manual, I have discovered there is NO setting information in it. So, your original supposition was correct, again... my bad. :)

It has the Classic D&D logo, which qualified many other products above for this list. :)

-Havard

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Some more magazine articles that could be included:
Thanks for all of those -- they've been added.

This is confusing stuff and emblematic of how poorly TSR marketed the D&D line in the early and mid-'90s, so please bear with me...
Thanks for the explanation and you are right, that was confusing. I had a hard time sorting those out with all the products sitting in a pile in front of me. I've rearranged the list slightly to eliminate "Challenger" completely as a series, and as an added bonus, there's now a "Thunder Rift setting" heading as crazy_monkey1956 suggested :D

Aside to havard: Do you have any idea who I could speak to nicely over at The Piazza to get the copy/pastes of the Collector's Guides removed? I certainly don't mind them being linked to, but I agreed with Morrus that I'd make these Guides an ENWorld exclusive, so I'm a little uncomfortable with the fact that many of them appear to have been copied over in their entirety. Apart from anything else, that means the copied version are drifting slowly out of date, since I've been regularly updating the original versions to fix errors and add things as I research other Collector's Guides.

havard

Adventurer
Aside to havard: Do you have any idea who I could speak to nicely over at The Piazza to get the copy/pastes of the Collector's Guides removed? I certainly don't mind them being linked to, but I agreed with Morrus that I'd make these Guides an ENWorld exclusive, so I'm a little uncomfortable with the fact that many of them appear to have been copied over in their entirety. Apart from anything else, that means the copied version are drifting slowly out of date, since I've been regularly updating the original versions to fix errors and add things as I research other Collector's Guides.

I will let them know :)

-Havard

havard

Adventurer
Much obliged. I do have a registration for the Piazza boards sitting in someone's queue, but it seems to be in limbo at the moment.

How long since you registered? Our dear admin had some R/W issues to take care of, but she is back now. If its a couple of weeks back, I would suggest registering again.

-Havard

Remove ads