Mythic Bastionlands Into the Odd, Mythic Knightly rpg.

Nijay

Explorer
This game has a lot of stuff that is quite different for me. Instead of characters built out of Lego pieces, it's just, chose/roll for which knight you are, and here's your stuff and your abilities. I am not sure if I like that, as I enjoy spending an inordinate amount of time with character creation. Also the hexcrawl element - I never played a hexcrawl before, and I can't recall seeing hexcrawl rules in any of the ttrpg's I've looked over. Any thoughts on the hexcrawl rules in Mythic Bastionland?

Another thought - the myths in this book seem like they could be used for quick prep for a 1-shot for any system, like a lite module, and there's 72 of them. There's a beautiful minimalism here, and a railroading-by-contract (PC's have taken an oath to investigate myths, or in other words, players agree to investigate plot hooks simply by agreeing to play this game) that I greatly appreciate over a more common sandbox style where the contract is negotiated in session 0 and any GM prep can go right out the window when a plot hook proves uninteresting to the players.

This game has a lot of stuff that is quite different for me. Instead of characters built out of Lego pieces, it's just, chose/roll for which knight you are, and here's your stuff and your abilities. I am not sure if I like that, as I enjoy spending an inordinate amount of time with character creation.
I think the idea (IMO) is that you focus on the skill of the player rather than on the skill of the character. So you are given a set of tools when you pick your character, and you do your best to addresses the challenges presented using those tools in creative ways.

Also the hexcrawl element - I never played a hexcrawl before, and I can't recall seeing hexcrawl rules in any of the ttrpg's I've looked over. Any thoughts on the hexcrawl rules in Mythic Bastionland?
I think what's interesting about the hex crawl rules is that they allow players to explore an area and to build strongholds but don't necessarily go deep on the nitty gritty of managing resources. This will be very appealing to players who like the idea of travel but are not interested in a lot of tracking. The author goes through building a hexmap here

Another thought - the myths in this book seem like they could be used for quick prep for a 1-shot for any system, like a lite module, and there's 72 of them. There's a beautiful minimalism here, and a railroading-by-contract (PC's have taken an oath to investigate myths, or in other words, players agree to investigate plot hooks simply by agreeing to play this game) that I greatly appreciate over a more common sandbox style where the contract is negotiated in session 0 and any GM prep can go right out the window when a plot hook proves uninteresting to the players.

Totally - the same with the Oaths; it gives direction to the game

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I have seriously pulled back on projects I support but I downloaded the sample and backed it. This is really good stuff with a ton of good ideas. You can take a look at the game rules and design ideas and get your own impressions.

Remove ads