• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

N.E.W. Hit Point question

Darth Quiris

First Post
I hope its alright to ask this question but of everything in this really awesome looking game... why do we roll for our starting Hit Points during character creation instead of just taking some kind of statistical average that can be modified? I'm just curious because I could see the possibility of some character's beginning with HP that's really low like 4 or 5 and other character's beginning with a high HP above 15 just because of the die roll... that's how I am seeing how it works (have not looked in latest update though so if it has been changed than I will soon find out).

MarkB

Legend
The current rule is roll or END x 3, whichever is higher. That tends to mean that, for low-to-average END scores, you'll be using END x 3 unless you happen to roll really well.

One thing I'm not clear about with the current rules is whether you're supposed to use exploding 6s when rolling for health.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
No, exploding dice happen in-game, not during character generation. They're for attribute checks (including attacks) and damage.

MarkB

Legend
No, exploding dice happen in-game, not during character generation. They're for attribute checks (including attacks) and damage.

Thanks. I thought that must be the case, but it needs clarification - the bolded statement at the bottom of page 101 doesn't have much wiggle room.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads