• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Name one thing you love and one thing you hate about 4e D&D

Henry

Autoexreginated
LOVE: the DMing of 4e, and specifically the ease of making and running existing NPCs and monsters.

HATE: Lack of options for alternatives to healing surges, or variants for the mechanics for a slightly less high-flying model of them. I've been thinking about altering healing slightly myself, maybe taking 3 or 4 days of bed rest for regaining all surges instead of one night, that sort of thing?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I've been thinking about altering healing slightly myself, maybe taking 3 or 4 days of bed rest for regaining all surges instead of one night, that sort of thing?

Have you looked at the "Lingering Wounds" variant Ari describes in his APG, Henry? I think that's an excellent starting point for such a system.

Cheers!

Grazzt

Demon Lord
LIKE:
* ease of monster and npc design
* no more skill points
* static defenses
* rituals

DISLIKE:
* reliance on the grid (makes it feel like a glorified boardgame)
* the anime stuff
* the fact that very few conditions last more than 'save ends'
* saving throw mechanic

The_Gneech

Explorer
LOVE: Page 42 of the DMG, and the "encounter budget" concept.

HATE: Just about everything else, starting with the look and feel and moving on to the races and classes.

-The Gneech :cool:

Psion

Adventurer
LIKE:
- Elimination of iterative attacks
- Saves as target numbers

NOT SO MUCH:
- Scrapping of so much metasetting (Great Wheel, creatures, eladrin, etc.)
- Loss of vancian magic; move away from resource management
- Confining balance to what happens on the grid
- Unified class model; IME some players like simple play and some like complex doodads; 4e cuts off both ends of this scale.
- Unified class model 2 - classes as "skins" on "roles"
- Tiefling and Dragonkin as core races

Ktulu

First Post
Love: Encounter/Session design. Easily my favorite of the many many many loved features of 4e. I can put a game together and have a good idea of how the fight will go and how much the party can handle on subsequent battles. It's beautiful in it's simplicity.

Hate: I don't really hate anything, but I would say that it can be easy to fall into the trap of player B played an awesome rogue in the last game so I'll build pretty much the exact same rogue with the exact same powers. This will go away with sourcebooks & more classes/powers.

Remove ads