Native American Campaign Setting?

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
You can take a look at Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker series. There's some alternate history there that might make a decent example.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Those were some seriously racist remarks.
Mod Note:

First, welcome to ENWorld!

Second, thanks for notifying staff of the issue of problematic posts. Very appreciated.

However, this thread has been dead & buried for 20+ years, and some of the posters haven’t been seen in at least a decade. Hoing forward, you might want to pay closer attention to posting dates in a thread before posting yourself.

To be 100% clear, ENWorld has no issue with thread necromancy; you did nothing wrong. But in a thread this long dormant, you’re not likely to be heard.

Starfox

Hero
I think this would have the same issue as an African setting, but to a lesser degree. What part of the area is your setting? Africa is huge and diverse, and so is America. You have to decide which part and culture you are exploring, which might make the game less interesting to some people. Also, much of what we know of these settings is what was reported by colonizers, meaning we knew what these cultures were like after some contact with western culture and seen through western eyes. As an author, you either have to accept this bias, or you have to go on legends and stories that are part myth.

It can be done. Basic DnD did Maztica which I believe is now a part of the Forgotten Realms. I saw a kickstarter for another Central American setting last year. Greyhawk has the Olman, which are very post-colonial even post-apocalyptic take on the Aztec. And i think that is the solution - pick one place and set of related cultures in one historical context, and work with that.

Edit: Necro for life!

Remove ads