• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

natural armor over deflection ac?

Luigiana

First Post
Does natural AC have any benefits over deflection? since amulet of nat. ac is more expensive than ring of prot?
I ask cause i can't see any benefits..
Amulet of nat ac is more expensive, it takes up the neck slot (you have two finger slots) and it doesn't apply to touch..

Ps. I have searched and couldn't find anything

A deflection bonus applies against touch attacks, while natural armour adds to your flatfooted AC

Also because modifiers of different types stack, its obviously more beneficial to get low level version's of both than high level versions.

Its more correct to say one is different as opposed to better.

Deflection bonuses apply to touch and flat-footed, while natural of course only applies to flat-footed. In short, deflection is a better bang for the buck all around until you get to the higher enhancements. I'd recommend using the Magic Item Compendium rules for adding these kinds of things to other base items, such as making a ring of sustenance and protection.

frankthedm

First Post
Deflection is better, but you usually need both. When doing magic item maintenance, upgrade your deflection bonus first, but don't ignore natural armor.

Wyvernhand

First Post
Indeed. Spreading out your bonuses is actually a great idea if you are able to. Due to the squared progression of the cost of nearly all defensive items, having 2 items that give +1 each is generally WAY cheaper than one item that gives +2. Assuming you don't have slot restrictions using the rules [MENTION=6678119]Jackinthegreen[/MENTION] mentioned, that is definitely the way to go. +1000g for +1 armor, +1000g for a +1 buckler, 2000 for a Ring of Protection, and 2000 for a Necklace of Natural Armor gives you +4 AC total (a 20% reduction in getting your face smashed) for 6000g, cheaper than a +2 Ring of Protection. If you look around hard enough, AC isn't too terribly tough to keep up for most levels. Only if you try to pile too much wealth into one item does AC get too cost prohibitive for a low-mid level character.

Yet another reason why melee gets screwed and casters rule.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I think the reason the amulet of natural armor seems to be priced slightly higher than a ring of protection is that the former will stack with any existing natural armor you have.

That said, it's easier to raise your base AC with heavier armor, even non-magical armor, and then start using "big six" items to improve on that.

Yet another way that spellcasters get screwed and melee-characters rule. ;) :p

frankthedm

First Post
I think the reason the amulet of natural armor seems to be priced slightly higher than a ring of protection is that the former will stack with any existing natural armor you have.
The prices are the same.

You are correct in regards to stacking, while deflection is better, AoNA stacks with actual natural armor. Great if you are a druid or have a crippling LA to get a race with natural armor.

Ring of Protection
Price 2,000 gp (ring +1); 8,000 gp (ring +2); 18,000 gp (ring +3); 32,000 gp (ring +4); 50,000 gp (ring +5).

Amulet of Natural Armor
Price 2,000 gp (+1), 8,000 gp (+2), 18,000 gp (+3), 32,000 gp (+4), or 50,000 gp (+5).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The prices are the same.

You are correct in regards to stacking, while deflection is better, AoNA stacks with actual natural armor. Great if you are a druid or have a crippling LA to get a race with natural armor.

Ring of Protection
Price 2,000 gp (ring +1); 8,000 gp (ring +2); 18,000 gp (ring +3); 32,000 gp (ring +4); 50,000 gp (ring +5).

Amulet of Natural Armor
Price 2,000 gp (+1), 8,000 gp (+2), 18,000 gp (+3), 32,000 gp (+4), or 50,000 gp (+5).

Whoops, my mistake on the prices. Thanks for catching that, frank. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads