• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nauseated; what to do?

Johno

First Post
IMC, the heroes (6th level) are at present battling troglodytes.

Fighting troglodytes, one suffers from Nausea after missing a save...

So how are the PC's to get rid of this effect? I assume the only core-legal method is Heal. No mention of combatting Nausea is mentioned in the Remove Poison spell.

I ruled that remove poison nullified the nausea effect, but did not negate the Strength loss. Would you let your players get by with casting Remove Poison?

It strikes me there are a few holes in the present capabilities of Clerical spells to combat various effects, at least at a level when characters are expected to encounter them.

James McMurray

First Post
All creatures (except troglodytes) within 30 feet of the trog must succeed at a Fortitude save (DC 13) or be overcome with nausea. This lasts for 10 rounds and deals 1d6 points of temporary Strength damage.

Looks to me like anything that will cure temporary strength damage will remove the effects of the stench ability.

Although it does use the words "overcome with nausea" it doesn't specifically refer to the nauseated condition. Also, it does not reiterate the effects of the nausea as almost every other condition reference does. I personally think that the nausea part is flavor text, and not referring to the "can't attack, can only move" nausea condition.

1d6 strength damage is bad enough at that low a level.

Then again, I'd think you'd have to playtest a few combats and see. True nausea seems a bit strong for a CR 1 creature though.

Johno

First Post
So you would have the Strength damage disappear after 10 minutes?

I have the Strength Damage last as normal Temporary Ability Damage, and the nausea affect lasting 10 minutes. And this is a killer.

At least one character is out of the fight everytime they challenge Troglodytes. The range effect is also a real hastle for them.

CR1 does seem very low by this accord...

Ah well, at least it has given them some memorable battles, not many Troglodytes left now. :D

Dr. Zoom

First Post
A round is 6 seconds, so 10 rounds is only 1 minute, not 10 minutes.

Also, Troglodyte Stench ability has been errata'd. Cross out "be overcome with nausea. This lasts for 10 rounds and deals 1d6 points of temporary Strength damage." Replace this with the following:

suffer a -2 morale penalty on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, checks, and saving throws. The effect lasts 10 rounds. Once a character has succumbed to a particular
troglodyte's stench ability, or made a successful saving throw against it, the character cannot be affected by the same troglodyte's stench ability for 24 hours.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads