Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind d20 Ideas

Zoatebix

Working on it
DnDChick said:
Table: Stock Airships
Code:
Size        Size Modifier  Squares    Hit Dice     Maneuverability  Hardness  Gun Points  Speed
Colossal    −8             2 or more  17d10-32d10  −4               10        16          60 mph (6 squares)
Gargantuan  −4             1          9d10-16d10   −2               8         8           80 mph (8 squares)
Huge        −2             1/2        5d10-8d10    −1               6         4           100 mph (10 squares)
Large       −1             1/3        3d10-4d10    +0               4         2           80 mph (8 squares)
Medium      +/-0           1/4        1d10-2d10    +1               2         1           60 mph (6 squares)
I straightened up the table for you. Yay for notepad!

I'm not sure what the benefit of "Quirky Controls" and a few other airship feats are beyond personalizing a ship. Other than that, I think this thread is super-cool stuff and I've been subscribed for a while. Thanks for all the work you've put into this!

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Thanks!

The Quirky Controls feat was inspired by a scene in the manga where Asbel is complaining about a junky airship with a hand-cranked starter. AAMOF it is what inspired the entire idea of airship feats. I know it needs work, but I'm just jotting down ideas as they come to me. Anything that seems odd or unbalanced will get a double-check later on. :)

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Great stuff, but having checked out the series, I'd think Nausicaä would be more suited for a D&D type of backround.

Anyway, keep up the good work troop.

Scott

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
I'm cobbling in bits of the D&D SRD for this, but things like the classes and spells and magic don't really fit the Nausicaa setting. All you'd be able to use from D&D are a handful of feats and the fighter, rogue, and maybe the barbarian classes. You'd have to house rule in firearms and vehicles. D20 Modern already does that for you and does it with a more customizable set of base classes.

Thanks for the compliment though! I fully intend to keep up the good work. :)

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Okie! I've done more work, so now maybe my ramblings about airship feats and such will make more sense. lol

I still need to work on how to figure an airship's final Purchase DC, but those germs are growing. The basic ideas of airship design using feats is set down in the attached document, but I still need more feats. Large airships could have upwards of 10 or 11 feats, and I need enough various feats to make this all worthwhile.

Check out the attached document -- its an RTF file so everyone should be able to read it -- and if you get inspired to think up some airship feats, post them back here. :)

Attachments

• Airship Feats.rtf
    65.5 KB · Views: 120

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Anyone know where one could obtain a copy of the manga (preferably online)?

I'll try out my google-fu in a few minutes... but my google-fu is known to be weak.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
BRAINSTORM!

Iv'e thought of a better way of customizing airships that trying to reverse-engineer feats to work for them.

Mutation Points ...

I can modify the mutation points system in D20 Future into Airship Traits ... stock airships have 0 AT, and you can choose disadvantages to balance out extra goodies ...

That preliminary ideas are below, and I plan to use it instead of the airship feats idea I posted earlier.

So ... got ideas for airship traits? Look at the attached document and post your ideas here if you have them. I don't have a problem with this being a community effort. lol

Creating an Airship
Instead of just using one of the sample airships provided, you can create your own airship. Airships have a stock configuration based on its type (glider, exotic, gunship, and brig). An airship can be further customized through the use of airship traits which can modify cargo capacity, speed, maneuverability, and weapons.

Code:
Table: Stock Gilders
Size	Size Modifier	Squares	Hit Dice	Hardness	Gun Points	Capacity Points	Cruising Speed
Large	−1	1/3	3d10-4d10	4	2	.25	80 mph 
Medium-size	+/-0	1/4	1d10-2d10	2	1	.0625	40 mph 

Table: Stock Exotic Airships
Size	Size Modifier	Squares	Hit Dice	Hardness	Gun Points	Capacity Points	Cruising Speed
Colossal	−8	2 or more	17d10-32d10	10	16	16	60 mph 
Gargantuan	−4	1	9d10-16d10	8	8	4	80 mph 
Huge	−2	1/2	5d10-8d10	6	4	1	100 mph 
Large	−1	1/3	3d10-4d10	4	2	.25	80 mph 
Medium-size	+/-0	1/4	1d10-2d10	2	1	.0625	60 mph 

Table: Stock Gunships
Huge	−2	1/2	5d10-8d10	10	4	.25	200 mph 
Large	−1	1/3	3d10-4d10	8	2	.0625	100 mph 

Table: Stock Brigs
Colossal	−8	2 or more	17d10-32d10	10	8	32	60 mph 
Gargantuan	−4	1	9d10-16d10	8	4	16	80 mph 
Huge	−2	1/2	5d10-8d10	6	2	4	100 mph

Size Modifier: The airship’s size modifier reflects how easy the airship is to target, and how well (or poorly) it responds to the pilot’s actions. The airship’s size modifier applies to its initiative modifier and Defense, and is applied to all Pilot checks the pilot must make.

Maneuverability Bonus: Some airship traits provide a maneuverability bonus or penalty which is applied to the airship’s Initiative and all Pilot checks the pilot must make.

Squares: The number of squares the airship fills at airship scale.

Hit Dice: An airship’s hit dice represent the solidity of its construction as well as its size. Airships use d10 for Hit Dice.

Hardness: An airship’s stock hardness reflects not only what the ship is made of but its overall resistance to damage because of its sheer size. Hardness reduces the amount of damage the ship takes from weapon attacks.

Gun Points: Gun points reflect how many weapons can be mounted onto the airship’s frame. For example a stock Huge airship has 4 gun points, so it could mount two .50 caliber machineguns or one light cannon, or any other combination of guns that equal 4 gun points.

Weapon Gun Points
.30 caliber machinegun 1
.50 caliber machinegun 2
Light Cannon 4
Medium Cannon 6
Heavy Cannon 8

Capacity Points: Capacity points measure how much additional weight the airship can carry in cargo or passengers and crew. 1 capacity point equals 1 ton of cargo or 8 passengers. Once you determine the airship’s total number of capacity points, you can divide up its capacity among cargo or passengers as you see it. Living creatures larger than Medium-size count as a 1/2 ton of cargo.

Cruising Speed: Cruising speed represents how far the airship can move as a move action. Speed is listed in miles per hour and airship scale squares.

AIRSHIP TRAITS
Airship Traits (AT) provide a simple method of customizing an airship while preserving game balance. All stock airships have 0 AT. You gain AT for your airship by selecting one or more drawbacks that make the airship less effective in play. You can then “spend” the AT on one or more beneficial traits.

An airship may still have unspent AT after choosing beneficial traits. These unspent AT can be spent on new traits at a later time.

An airship may have an AT deficit after choosing beneficial traits. This AT deficit increases the Purchase DC of the airship by a positive amount equal to twice the deficit. Thus, an airship with a −2 AT deficit has a +4 increase to its Purchase DC.

Many airship traits can be taken multiple times, as indicated in their description.

Added Capacity
This airship was built primarily for heavy lifting or as a passenger transport.
AT Cost: 2
Benefit: The airship has twice the number of capacity points for an airship its size.
Special: This trait can be taken multiple times. Multiple instances of this trait increase the multiple by one, thus an airship that has this trait twice has 3 times the stock number of capacity points.

Deceptively Decrepit
This airship looks like she’s about to just fall apart, but looks can be deceiving.
AT Cost: 1
Benefit: The airship has a +2 bonus on Initiative checks as enemy pilots are often taken by surprise at how well it can maneuver.
Special: The airship loses its bonus to Initiative if the opponents succeed on a reputation check to recognize the airship.

Decreased Capacity
This airship was built without passengers or cargo in mind. It’s very cramped inside with little room for any spare stowage.
AT Value: 2
Benefit: The airship has half the number of capacity points for an airship its size.
Special: This trait can be taken multiple times. Its effects stack, thus an airship that has this trait twice has 1/4 the stock number of capacity points.

Easy to Fix
This airship is an engineer’s dream. She is well-put together and efficiently constructed.
Benefit: A character repairing this airship receives a +2 bonus on Repair checks

Flimsy
This airship is made of light materials that were improperly welded together. Her internal bracings are weak and her fuselage is far too frail for the comfort of most pilots.
Benefit: This airship permanently has 10 fewer hit points. These hit points can never be repaired or replaced.

Hard to Fix
This airship is an engineer’s nightmare. She is a slapped-together mess of crude welds and tangled cabling.
AT Value: 1
Benefit: A character repairing this airship receives a −2 penalty on Repair checks

Heavily Armed
This airship is armed and dangerous. Many weapons bristle from her fuselage.
Benefit: The airship has twice the number of gun points for an airship its size.
Special: This trait can be taken multiple times. Multiple instances of this trait increase the multiple by one, thus an airship that has this trait twice has 3 times the stock number of gun points.

Highly Maneuverable
This airship is well-designed with smooth contours or it was built with top-quality hydraulic systems and finely-tuned control surfaces.
Benefit: The airship has a +1 maneuverability bonus.

Improved Armor
This airship has had extra armor plating bolted on or built in. She is tougher than other airships of her type.
Benefit: The airship’s hardness is increased by +2.
Special: This trait can be taken multiple times. Its effect stacks.

Lightly Armed
This airship is not a ship of war but of peace… but even peacemakers must sometimes wage war.
Benefit: The airship has half the number of gun points for an airship its size.
Special: This trait can be taken multiple times. Its effects stack, thus an airship that has this trait twice has 1/4 the stock number of gun points. An airship cannot have less than 1 gun point through the use of this feat.

Lightly Built
This airship is made of weaker materials than other airships of its type.
Drawback: The airship’s hardness is decreased by −2.

Lucky
There is something uncanny about this airship’s ability to get through trouble. Pilots who have flown her in the past swear that she will always bring you home.
Benefit: When spending an action point on a Pilot check while flying this airship, the pilot rolls an extra 1d4. If the roll on the 1d4 is higher than any of the 1d6 rolls, the pilot can take that result.

Old Soldier
This airship has been around for years, perhaps even centuries, and is well-known to other pilots.
AT Cost/Value: 1
Benefit: The airship reputation bonus increases by +3. This functions just like a character's reputation bonus.
Special: This trait can be an advantage or a drawback depending on whether or not the airship has a good reputation or a bad reputation. The player that chooses this trait must choose whether the airship’s reputation is good or bad at the time of the airship’s creation. This trait can be taken multiple times. Its effects stack.

Overpowered Engines
The engineers shoehorned an almost too-large engine into this airship’s fuselage, or its engines are extremely efficient.
Benefit: The airship has +10 mph to speed.

Quirky Controls
This ship has been salvaged, re-salvaged, retrofitted, and jury-rigged many times. Her controls are hard to get to know, but she responds like a dream to those who know her well.
Benefit: A pilot that is unfamiliar with the controls of this airship has a −2 maneuverability penalty because of their peculiar design. To become familiar with the airship a character must be the primary pilot (i.e. fly the ship 75% of the time) for 1 month.
Special: A pilot with Airship Operation (Exotic) can become familiar with this airship’s controls after flying it for 10 hours and spending an Action Point.

Rattletrap
This airship is little more than a flying junk heap. It squeaks and coughs, and if those on board listen closely enough they can probably hear small parts falling off. It’s a miracle she is even able to fly at all.
AT Value: 3
Drawback: The airship has a −1 maneuverability penalty and it is more vulnerable to critical hits. All weapons that attack this airship have their critical threat range increased by 1. Thus a weapon with a critical threat range of 20 would have a critical threat range of 19-20 against this airship.

Sturdy
Multiple bracings, thick bolts, and otherwise solid construction make this airship hard to damage.
Benefit: This airship has +10 bonus hit points.

Unarmed
This airship has no mounted weapons.
AT Value: 4
Special: This trait cannot be selected for gunships.

Underpowered Engines
This airship’s engines struggle to haul it through the sky.
Benefit: The airship has −10 mph to speed.

PS. Someone needs to teach me how to use that blasted Code function! :confused:

Last edited:

Remove ads