Nazi Germany Paper Topic: Suggestions?

Jakar

First Post
I was always interested in the Nuremburg Trials after the war, and the arguement that they were not responsible because they were only following orders. It really went inot the whole "collectivised guilt" thing as well.

Turanil

First Post
Well, it's a most tricky subject, but one interesting thing is how Nazism presented itself through heavy symbolism and mythology. The tricky part is all the alledged occult practices of Nazis, where it may only be possible that the Nazis just saw how easier it is to "enthrall the masses" with mythology and symbolism than logic and rational arguments (especially as they didn't have anything rationale to say).

I would suggest this URL: Hitler and the Occult just to begin search (not as sole source for the paper!).

Well, I found it an interesting read, as I search some material to help me design some nazi occultists in my next d20 CoC campaign. However, it should be noted that the subject of nazis and the occult is based on more legends than facts, so it may be difficult to write a paper that would be very accurate. On the other hand, if you play Cthulhu or similar games, you could find later a RPG use for this. ;)

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Ummm... I didn't really read all the posts above :heh:

An interesting angle to look at Nazism was their use of runes, insignia and symbolism.

I know Himmler was the leader in this department and he borrowed heavily from various european cultures. It dots the entire movement from featuring in Goebels propaganda to markings of the various 'named' divisions.

I understand that much of it was gobbledegook but there was a bit of rhyme to reason and above all it had to be stiking to the eye.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
One interesting topic would be the moral code behind Nazi eugenics. After all, they were interested in "improving" the species, right? That's arguably a laudable, moral goal.

alsih2o

First Post
A look at those that "got away" and the facts and wild rumors and speculation that followed might be an interesting insight into what happened. :)

SpringPlum

First Post
If you can focus on a more contemporary topic, then you could research the deniers--those who maintain that the Holocaust is just a hoax. A good focal point would be John Sack's Inside the Bunker.

Inside the Bunker by John Sack

Also many countries have laws that prohibit people from disputing that any aspect of the Holocaust happened. Would make for an interesting paper.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Since you have American History as a major, you could tie links between jewish genocide (the holocaust) and the native american genocide.

Especially the way that public opinion was built up to condone such attrocity in either country.

The Occult/Nazi topic is a VERY popular topic in class. One too many History Channel shows on it... hoping for something a little less "done."

A link between the Native Americans and Jews, while interesting, doesn't tie quite close enough to Nazism and the Nazi conscience... but, a cool idea for a future class. :)

Remove ads